Prime rib terminology - why not?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So a buddy just asked me this and I think that it's so confusing that it is worth posting:

Buddy says, "I want to make a bone-less prime rib what do I buy?"

I told him to get a bone-less rib eye roast. Correct? I told him to grill or bake this bone-less roast and then slice it and it will be prime rib.

Now technically it's not USDA prime b/c he's buying choice meat but it's still the right cut, correct?

A bone in version would be a standing rib roast which when sliced after cooking would be a prime rib (bone in).

If we were to slice this roast before cooking it would be a rib eye steak/roast.

Is this right?

Head hurts.

John

the term Prime Rib predates the USDA grading system. It refers to the fact that the section of the roast that runs from a specified sections of the rib primal (rib 6 throught 12) was considered to be the best, or prime, section of the rib roast cut of meat.

When the grading program was introduced by the USDA, it exempted the terms Prime Rib as a term that did not denote grade. Now, a Prime Rib can even be cut from a Select grade carcass, as it does not relate to carcass grade.

Yes, if you take a rib roast, that is cut from rib 6 to rib 12, then you roast it, you are making a Prime Rib roast, regardless of carcass rating. If you cut it into steaks, with the bone attached, you have a rib chop, if you remove the bone, you have a rib steak. If you remove the deckle and bone, you have a ribeye steak.

On edit: the term standing rib roast was created for two reasons, one was that it removes the confusion of the use of the term Prime, when the meat is not graded Prime. The other is that a standing rib roast may be cut anywhere along the rib cage, this would include cuts at the end of the rib cage, including rib 13, which would mean it cannot be labelled Prime Rib, or it could be from the large end, ribs 4 and 5, thus also not allowing for the name Prime Rib. But, these would be standing rib roast none the less.

Prime rib is the name of the cut. Very few are Prime graded pieces of meat. Or like Landarc said while I was typing

Landarc hit it on the head, I would like to add that I like to have the butcher cut the ribs from the roast and then tie them back on. Makes for easy cutting and I like to roast the bones after they are separated.

Landarc, that just about the best and most clearly written explaination I've seen on this - thanks!

Another tip is to go get those meaty beef bones that the meat cutter slices off the roast for those that don't know better! I just bought 40 lbs for 1.50/lb. SCORE!!

Another tip is to go get those meaty beef bones that the meat cutter slices off the roast for those that don't know better! I just bought 40 lbs for 1.50/lb. SCORE!!
That is a nice score. Tis the season for beef ribs other people waste :biggrin1:

Another little fact about Rib roasts in general and Prime Rib in specific.

Ribs 6-9 are referred to as the large end, ribs 10-12 are referred to as the small end. The closer to the large end you are, the more deckle and less rib-eye muscle you get. The closer to the small, the less deckle and larger rib-eye muscle you get. Ribs 11 and 12 will rarely have any deckle at all. So, if you like that fatty flap of meat on a Prime Rib, you want large end, if you want the lean part, then small end.

For a real treat...buy the standing rib roast, from rib 5 to rib 13. That would be nine bones. Find yourself a large-ish rotisserie or Santa Maria grill and roast the entire thing. It should take 2 to 3 hours over a medium fire kicking off 275F to 280F at the meat. Nothing but a Santa Maria type rub. You will be eating a true 1920 to 1940 Santa Maria BBQ.

So if I get one of these, I should smoke it low and slow (225Ëš OF COURSE) for like 15 hours, then shred it like pulled pork, right? I'm thinking an IT of 205Ëš-210Ëš so or until it probes like buttah.
I plan on covering it with about 2lbs of my super secret chili sugar rub. But first, I'm going to slather it with A1 sauce.

Go for it. I no longer know what to believe, for all I know, it could turn out incredible.

Landarc, that just about the best and most clearly written explaination I've seen on this - thanks!

+1 on this... Thanks so much for finally explaining it in a way that now totally makes sense, especially the large end and small end gig. :thumb:

Next little fact about Prime Rib, and this one is a favorite of mine. The flap that one finds on Prime Rib, the meat that covered the plate and short ribs and the point on a brisket are all off of a muscle group called the deckle (colloquially). The meat shares a similar character that it is all very fatty, coarsely textured and rich in blood. When cooked long enough, or when nearly raw, it is melting tender. If you can find a butcher that will sell you the plate and short ribs uncut, with the meat still attached, you have the same meat as on a point of a brisket, but, on bones. Cook it until it jiggles, and it will be one of the best meals you ever ate.

Great post! Excellent description of what a prime rib is, I just cooked a bone in a week or so ago, and my wife and I got into a rather large disagreement on this very topic, thanks for the clarification:)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Have him get a bone-in roast (cheaper) and ask the butcher to remove
the bone and tie it back on (very common -- people think that the bone
is magic). Then your buddy can remove the bone, cook the roast, and
barbecue the ribs later. :wink:

John

Have him get a bone-in roast (cheaper) and ask the butcher to remove
the bone and tie it back on (very common -- people think that the bone
is magic). Then your buddy can remove the bone, cook the roast, and
barbecue the ribs later. :wink:

John

EXACTLY, nothing like getting a set of ribeye's on a stick for free;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody got into the serious cooking phase (besides jest). If you've been hangin' around here for a while, you've seen the beautiful slow smoked/then seared rib roasts. IMO this is the best method because you get that perfect pink from edge to center.

Even starting off slow cooking at 225-250, it won't take more than a couple hours for the roast to hit 110. when it does, remove from low temp and toss on a searing hot fire to sear outside as fast as possible. Remove from sear no later than 125 internal. Let rest loosely tented or just on top of cutting board for 20ish minutes before slicing. Perfection every time.

The reason I'm saying this is I've seen folks post here that the best way to cook rib roasts is the opposite.. They suggest cooking on direct heat for an hour till middle is med rare. By the time that poor piece of beef is cut open, there is a small center area of med rare, and the rest of the meat is well done. IE Donut hole. What would you prefer to eat? Pink and juicy from center to crust? Or dry and brown with a little pink in the middle?

Back