who makes the best pellets?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i want the best pellets for cold smoking pork belly and hams. prefer apple and hickory. since i dont own a pellet smoker, i dont know who the best are. it would also be cool if i can buy it in smaller bags instead of 20-40 lbs. if the best doesnt offer small quantity then ill just have a bunch left over for future smokes.

Lumberjack pellets generally get high praise, but to be honest I have never used them. I do like and use both Bear Mountain and Kingsford pellets

BBQer's Delight are very good and I am pretty sure that they sell in small bags. I also like Cookin'pellets.com, but I don't think they sell in small bags.

BBQer's Delight are very good and I am pretty sure that they sell in small bags. I also like Cookin'pellets.com, but I don't think they sell in small bags.

just got off the phone with Candy at BBqer's Delight. very nice lady and really knows her stuff. i ordered 1 lb bags of hickory, apple and sassafras. cant wait!

Lumberjack no longer has 100% apple, but they still have 100% hickory. I'm not happy about them discontinuing the 100% apple, but I guess it wasn't a very good seller.

Ol' Hick has 100% apple and hickory pellets, as does "Q" Pellets. I haven't tried these yet.

IMO the main difference among pellet suppliers is integrity. Traeger, for example, uses filler wood, so the label on the bag is meaningless. Their "mesquite" doesn't contain any mesquite at all, just "flavor oils."

I use Lumberjack because I have a nearby source at a reasonable price and a reputation of being honest. I'm sure there are others. Just ask before you buy.

I use Bear Mountain, but hear a lot of good things about LumberJack.
Don’t think either comes in “small” bags.

I’m new to the pellet game but have tried Bear Mountain, Cookin Pellets and B&B. I’m kinda liking the CP hickory and Cherry (I blend them myself) and the B&B comp blend (pecan, cherry and oak, I think). The CP hickory smells great while cooking. Not sure how much taste difference there is between pellets though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBqer's Delight is my favorite pellet. Expensive but way worth. Candy knows what she is doing.

I used B&B/BBQ Delight for about seven years with good results. Tried Cookin' Pellets, Traeger, and several others with worse results.

Based on great reviews here I tried Bear Mountain 100% hardwood pellets a couple of months ago and I'm getting the best smoke ring ever from them with much more visible smoke. (Bold Blend) Get on their mail list for deals and free shipping.

Back