MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Foothills_Smoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default New Braunfels Smoker Model?

I am new to this forum. I have enjoyed reading the posts and have learned a lot, but now I have a question. I helped my Dad pick up a smoker yesterday from a guy on Craigslist. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, by the photos, what model it is. This unit has a 35" X 16.5" smoke chamber, 17.5" X 16" firebox, and an electric rotisserie, that was added later. I believe it is either a New Braunfels Silver or a Black Diamond, but I could be wrong.

I have attached the photos, I hope this works. Let me know if there is a better way to do this.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_Braunfels_01.jpg (9.0 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg New_Braunfels_02.jpg (8.7 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg New_Braunfels_03.jpg (8.8 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg New_Braunfels_04.jpg (6.6 KB, 300 views)
Foothills_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Couldn't tell you the model but it's exactly the one I've had (less the rotisserie, shinny paint and clean wood LOL)for over 15 years. I really love it for the grate size. Takes some tending to smoke but you can find lot's of information here about mods that can help. Enjoy!
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks to the the Silver Smoker, nicely refurbished.
The Black Diamond had a flat plate on top of the firebox I believe.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I'm thinking it's the Silver. The BD has a propane assist for lighting in the fire box, and a pot warmer on the fire box lid. Great pits, but like Paul said, they do take some tending to.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Aaren Cobb
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I agree, I think it's the Silver. I have a Black Diamond that has the pot warmer on top. My BD does not have the propane attachment, the propane attachment comes on the "Oklahoma Joe" version of the Black Diamond and also has a steel shelf instead of the wood planks.

Either way, looks like you got a very nice smoker. How much did you pay for it? (if you don't mind?) :)
Aaren Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Yep, the NB Silver smoker, my first one. I was anal about temps and got rid of it after I made my uds. I even got a wsm last year, and while I love to "set it and forget it", I've came full circle and now am having a blast burning sticks in a Char-griller.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Dave are you using split logs in your CG. I am about to get the SFB for my 2nd CG, but I can't seem to wrap my head around using logs in that. The SFB just seems too small.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarter View Post
Dave are you using split logs in your CG. I am about to get the SFB for my 2nd CG, but I can't seem to wrap my head around using logs in that. The SFB just seems too small.
I hear ya, and I don't recommend just using hickory, unless you want to go hi heat all the way, and it better be small splits or chunks, and IMHO, with the bark removed.

Here in middle TN we have a lot of bradley pear (ornamental) that gets blown down all the time. I've already got a bunch, and also, if you have an orchard nearby, the owner might let you take a lot of the prunings or broken limbs off his hands after the fruit gets picked. I got a whole bunch of peach limbs just last week, and along with all the pear I have, I only will use hickory or pecan at first to get a bed of coals, especially if doing ribs or chicken. With the fruitwood, I can keep it down around 275 as long as I keep the wind from hitting the vent, and that's in this heatwave of a summer without shade.

My only problem is when the rather small fire I have going just fizzles out with little warning. (Watch the smoke!) I'm gonna take heed to the tip I found here about keeping some lump handy to throw on in such a case. I should add that it's not that often, especially if you're keeping an eye on the smoke, and I plan on having my torch handy next smoke, as well as the lump. I've always used a torch for lighting the uds, and sometimes the wsm, but I was at a fam reunion recently and saw how handy it can be when using a stickburner.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
n2dabluebbq
On the road to being a farker

my nb black diamond came with propane assist. i never installed but did keep it for the day when i think i might want it on there. also i used to use strictly wood for cooking on it, but have recently went with a charcoal basket. i use lump mixed with the wood of the day.
the one you have is a silver model but be glad that it was still made by nb. the new ones are much thinner and a bit more difficult to enjoy. oh and congratulations on the score.
n2dabluebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Yep, the NB Silver smoker, my first one. I was anal about temps and got rid of it after I made my uds. I even got a wsm last year, and while I love to "set it and forget it", I've came full circle and now am having a blast burning sticks in a Char-griller.
Yep, same here. I'd recognize one in a second. I bought my Bandera (and found this garden spot in the universe) and traded my Silver for brewing equipment. That's been over six years ago and I still think about ol' Silver. You got a good one.

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

+1 on the NBSS. Good little cooker. I've got a NIB Propane assist kit for it if you're interested. Lemme know.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westexbbq View Post
Looks to the the Silver Smoker, nicely refurbished.
The Black Diamond had a flat plate on top of the firebox I believe.
You are correct, the Black Diamond had a flat top on the firebox.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
Foothills_Smoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Aaren, my Dad actually purchased the smoker. I know it wasn't a bargain, but it is in good shape. I do know the guy he bought it from was retired Army and jobless. So this was helping him out financially.

I have a Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe (BSKD). A very generous friend gave it to me for helping him put his new smoker together. I have a list of 6 mods I am going to install in the near future. I am totally hooked on stick burning (the pyro in me).
Foothills_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote