First UDS and smoke

Bayme

I recently discovered the BBQ-Brethern Forums, and after a long time thinking about a UDS, I finally decided to build one. The pictures of everyone's food did wonders to my motivation.

Here is the smoker assembled, but before the burn out. Used my old Weber kettle and was given a barrel (held polystyrene beads) from a friend.
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
Smoker001.jpg

Here is the beginning of the burn out. Enjoyed some cold beverages watching the glow from the barrel once it got dark. The kids thought I was crazy building a huge fire when it's almost 100 degrees outside (got to love San Antonio!). I certainly understand why some think the burn out is a "right of passage."
Smoker006.jpg

Next morning I applied Crisco to the walls of the barrel and fired her up. Had chicken, sausage, and country style ribs in the fridge. With all three vents open, temp reached 375 before I close 2 vents. Then temp dropped to 275. A slight turn of the ball valve dropped temp to 250. It held for at least 7 hours (I last checked at the 7 hour mark and it was still cruising around 250) with ~12 pounds of charcoal and 4 or 5 mesquite pieces.
Smoker009.jpg

Pulled everything after 3.5 hours. Chicken breasts were dry but thighs were better. Should have monitored internal temp through smoke. On the platter ready for dinner.
Smoker010.jpg

One design flaw I found during this first run. I wish I had not drilled the casters into the bottom of the UDS. I ended up with a pool of congealed meat juice on one of my caster and on my patio. I think I will have someone at work weld them on.

Trying my first brisket, a 12 pound packer, this Saturday. My plan is to smoke fat cap down to 160-165, foil, and add 1/2 cup of broth until done.

I'd dive into that.:clap2: Nice rig, too. Keep us in the loop on your brisket.

Nice! One hell of a spread there! One tip on chic breasts, if you don't brine them they will dry out on you fast as soon as you go over 160 degrees internal temp. Other meats are more forgiving, but you have to monitor chic breasts and pull as soon as they hit temp. And good luck on the brisky, be sure to post pics!

Same here! Broke mine in this past weekend... Love how this thing cooks. Still a few detail things to do, but I love it already! Good looking food though. :thumb:

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I've got so many things running through my head that I want to smoke. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Saiko, I'll be sure to brine the chicken breasts next time. I always brine my turkeys before baking, so it makes sense.

I'll post pics of the brisket this weekend.

Nice UDS and chow, I'd hit it twice. Yes this forum does provide the motivational pictures to hurry and complete these builds. Welcome to the addiction.

Nice cooker. If u don't live in Texas, I suggest using something beside mesquite for smoking
Too strong for pork and chicken. Try post oak if u gotta go Texan. IMHO

welcome! nice spread, i'll have a thigh and a rib, please.

i agree with mitch, try using a "milder" wood for your foundation for now, like cherry or oak or even apple if you can get large quantities. add others as "spice".

personally, everything gets cherry, and i add small amounts of other wood depending on the meat.

i do like mesquite flavor tho!

can't wait to see the briskie.

Thanks for the advice. I thought the mesquite was a little strong. I have oak and pecan too. I plan to use oak on the brisket as it will be a longer smoke than the chix and ribs. When I lived in New Hampshire, apple was easy to get, not so much in San Antonio. Maybe my in-laws can send me some.

Back