First smoke on the new UDS

cpw

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
After I did a test run yesterday on the drum, gonna throw on a butt today to give it a real test.

Started with an apple juice, SM sweet and spicy rub, salt, and brown sugar injection. Dusted the butt with a little SM rub for good measure, and left the butt in the fridge overnight.

Woke up this morning, fired the drum up, and then rubbed the butt with mustard, a little black pepper, and pop daddy's butt glitter.

Now I'm waiting for the drum to come up to temp, and away we go.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316350432.070694.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316350432.070694.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 181
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316350495.829852.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316350495.829852.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 180
45fe4130-0edf-e24b.jpg
Here's a pic of the butt about 3 hours in.

Why are you taking the lid off after only 3hrs? If your lookin, your not cookin!

What he said, I wouldn't peek till the sizzling sound starts to die down. That means it's getting close to fully rendered.

Before and after pics are good. Opening up the cooker every hour to take a pic, or mop/spritz is overkill, and will definitely affect cooking times and possibly open the door for a dry result.

IMO, a good result with the shortest amount of time invested is a win. We all love pics, but some restraint might help with the end result quite a bit. :deadhorse:

I'm not too concerned about opening the lid too often, I know I do, just can't help myself. I have to check on things every few hours. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Once you get your routine down, and understand that everything is purring along nicely, you'll find the urge to peek will lessen. Listen to the meat cook, you can tell a lot just by putting your ear close to the exhaust and listen to what's happening. No need to peek.

It's not just about losing a bit of cooking temp, it's about keeping a constant cooking pressure and moist environment in the smoker. Every time it's opened, the pressure and moisture takes a while to build back up.

Looking be good can't wait to see the finished results
Smoke on brother and you will love that drum

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Once you get your routine down, and understand that everything is purring along nicely, you'll find the urge to peek will lessen. Listen to the meat cook, you can tell a lot just by putting your ear close to the exhaust and listen to what's happening. No need to peek.

It's not just about losing a bit of cooking temp, it's about keeping a constant cooking pressure and moist environment in the smoker. Every time it's opened, the pressure and moisture takes a while to build back up.

I'm sure you're right. Once I get a few more cooks on the drum under my belt, I'll be less inclined to peek.

BTW, going on hour 11, got the butt panned with foil, and running at about 185.

All done (other than letting it rest)!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316397241.236771.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316397241.236771.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316397296.011353.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316397296.011353.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
Back