Batch Image
Reaction score
Cold with flurries great day for Frito Pie. Here we go
1/2 pint brisket jelly
1/4 cup olive oil
1# swag brisket point
Heated chopped and stick blended
Added 8 oz tomato sauce

Separate pan bloomed 6 level tablespoons Oakridge Texas Red Chili Mix in one 12oz beer. Whisked constantly. Rested at least 20 minutes tight cover.

Added 1/2# cubed NY Strip and bloomed sauce to pot
Added 1 teaspoon Real Salt
Added 1 can Goya Black Beans
Added 1 shot of Tequila to pot and cook

Low as it will go for 1-2 hours

Last edited:
I think was about as good as any Chili I've ever made. Bride is more sensitive to heat than me. She had two large bowls whilst I rode the AirDyne. I'll probably exceed
Her two.

Last edited:
Good looking chili. Not sure where this Texas and beans thing came from. We always had beans in it, but we also had huge Cajun influence living in Beaumont. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also love cooking with tequila, both in and out of the pan :-D

Good looking chili. Not sure where this Texas and beans thing came from. We always had beans in it, but we also had huge Cajun influence living in Beaumont. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also love cooking with tequila, both in and out of the pan :-D

After reading on Chili Con Carne (Chile With Meat) it kind of reminds me of competition Barbecue. What you feed the bbq competition judges is not the same as in your home cookout. I’m guessing competition Chili May be the same-feed the judges vs feed the family. I’m not a competition guy in anything. Therefore that observation may be totally off.

However, hamburger meat was a big deal in our house as it was always available due to my grand dad having a steer processed and made mostly into hamburger meat. Now Pappa enjoyed his chili at least weekly and more often during the winter. He would often put beans but just as often not. He was a WW2 medic in the war zone. The man liked his beans. He was a gentleman giant that could melt steel with his blue eyes.

ATTST- I believe most people who enjoy chili today pretty much enjoy it the way grew up with it. I was talking to a friend the other day who has a chili comp at his office coming up. He is always 2-3rd out of 20+ Entries. No one who has ever won has ever had beans but he’s noticed that almost always the chili with beans is totally eaten and the top 1-5 without beans often have chili leftover. So he was bouncing something off me and said what if I cook a pot of beans then use the bean water as basis for the chili. No beans, just the bean water.

As I’ve stated a couple times lately after I read that the Carne in original Chile Con Carne was Spanish Conquistador, the whole beans versus no beans conversation went mute.

Last edited:
After reading on Chili Con Carne (Chile With Meat) it kind of reminds me .....

As I’ve stated a couple times lately after I read that the Carne in original Chile Con Carne was Spanish Conquistador, the whole beans versus no beans conversation went mute.

I don't know the history of chili. I just know there are a lot of variables that determine what is in the pot. Things like, are we gainfully employed; has aunt Edna recently been plagued with a bout of IBS; did Donny Rey sneak some jalapenos into the pot as a joke; are you sure that's beef in there? Cumin covers a lot of less than desirable flavors. :-D

As an aside, does your screen name have anything to do with fly fishing?

I don't know the history of chili. I just know there are a lot of variables that determine what is in the pot. Things like, are we gainfully employed; has aunt Edna recently been plagued with a bout of IBS; did Donny Rey sneak some jalapenos into the pot as a joke; are you sure that's beef in there? Cumin covers a lot of less than desirable flavors. :-D

As an aside, does your screen name have anything to do with fly fishing?

Excellent observation on the family situation of stretching a pot. And yes. I was fishing with ArkAnglers out of Salida Co on the Arkansas. One of those trips where the guide points you to the fly display and helps you purchase the fly that is working as they didn’t furnish flys. He had me buy iirc 5 of the size #16Adams.
As he put it, 16Adams is the fly that resembles nothing and imitates everything on The Arkansas. It worked.

Back