First attempt Tri-Tip

Pig_Farmer

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I went to Shamrock Foods on Saturday and picked up a multi pack of tri-tip. took them out of the cryo-vac and individually vacuum sealed them. Ended up with 5 total. The wife forced me to cook one on Sunday and I was more than happy to oblige.

I did a pretty aggressive trim. I hope that was the right thing to do. Like I said, this was my first tri-tip. I did a search on here and it looks like most folks trim all of the fat off. Then I seasoned with OR Santa Maria. That was a perfect choice.
20181111_120128.jpg
I did a reverse sear on it and when it reach 125 IT I pulled it of the Weber and got the coals nice and hot and sear for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
20181111_145940.jpg
20181111_150057.jpg
I Removed the tri-tip from the smoker and let it rest a bit, and then sliced it up.
20181111_152941.jpg
20181111_152953.jpg
Final thoughts on Tri-Tip. I absolutely love tri-tip. This will be my next go to cut of meat. I love pork tenderloin, but this one now comes in a very close second. I think the more of these that I cook and adding some different flavors it could be my #1.

Thanks for looking
Carl

Looks good!, some of my West Coast friends believe that it needs basted with a Santa Maria oil/baste as you turn it, but they would prolly cook it over a wood fire.

Looks good!, some of my West Coast friends believe that it needs basted with a Santa Maria oil/baste as you turn it, but they would prolly cook it over a wood fire.

Thank you. I did dust it again before I put it back on the grill to sear. I may have to try the paste next time. Is it just EVOO and the seasoning?

Oh yeah, I'd hit that!! I really like Shamrock Foods. Good deals if you get the card from them. So can go in there and spend some serious money if ya ain't careful!!

Bob

Back