First Tri-Tip In 15 Years

upStomp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
They're not readily available in my area, so I figured I'd order some online after being inspired by the current BB Throwdown. Had to order these bad boys from Kentucky. The one on the right met the fire last night...

picture.php

A dusting of Tony C's topped off with Carne Crosta and onto the grate she went. The absence of DST hinders good cook pics during the week. Still, that's a pretty cool color from the coals getting picked up by my camera.

picture.php

The money shot...

picture.php

Great cook, considering I haven't cooked one in over 15 years, and that it's only the second time ever. I gave it a solid 10 minutes of rest and, as you can see from the pic, I could have let it sit 5-10 minutes longer. Still, the bleeding certainly didn't hinder the juiciness of the slices.

I found the texture to be somewhere between top sirloin and sirloin flap (steak tips for the Northeast folks), but better than both for slicing. I think I'll cook and slice cold the second one for sandwiches/wraps.

That looks fantastic - cooked perfectly, too!

Where did you order the meat from? Those are some of the most nicely marbled TT's I've seen in some time!

That looks fantastic - cooked perfectly, too!

Where did you order the meat from? Those are some of the most nicely marbled TT's I've seen in some time!

Thank you, sir. I ordered them from Porter Road.

Great looking tri tip! Just some advice, don't wait 15 years to cook the second one. I don't think it will be good.

I literally read this while the second one was resting.
Great looking tri tip! Just some advice, don't wait 15 years to cook the second one. I don't think it will be good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back