MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl
Question Turkey % loss

I need to supply the church with 20lbs of cooked turkey in a couple of weeks. My plan was to smoke boneless turkey breast, but I'm not sure of the percentage of loss on turkey breast. Can you clue me into the amount of raw meat I will need?

Thanks in advance,
Carl
[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"]Weber Performer[/COLOR][/COLOR], Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, [COLOR="DimGray"]East Texas Smoker RK250[/COLOR], Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke :biggrin1:
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
bluffman2
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Stephen

Me personally I would smoke (3) 8-9 lb breast.
bluffman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
I need to supply the church with 20lbs of cooked turkey in a couple of weeks. My plan was to smoke boneless turkey breast, but I'm not sure of the percentage of loss on turkey breast. Can you clue me into the amount of raw meat I will need?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

My experience has been; that turkey breasts, if not over-cooked will yield about 70% after cooking.

However if you purchased "enhanced" turkey breasts you can expect about a 65% yield.

so simple math will estimate you will require 29 pounds of raw boneless turkey breast which has not been "enhanced".

Or roughly 31.5 pounds of enhanced.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
bluffman2
Knows what a fatty is.

How many people?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffman2 View Post
How many people?
Anywhere from 75 to 100. But I'm only on the hook for 20lbs. It's a potluck for the seniors.
[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"]Weber Performer[/COLOR][/COLOR], Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, [COLOR="DimGray"]East Texas Smoker RK250[/COLOR], Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke :biggrin1:

Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
bluffman2
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Anywhere from 75 to 100. But I'm only on the hook for 20lbs. It's a potluck for the seniors.
I wouldn’t sweat it then. I thought you may be cooking for all. Hope it turns out well.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
mwallinford
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Wallys Way

if i may ask how do you keep a enhanced boneless turkey breast from drying out , using a up right drum smoker?
mwallinford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwallinford View Post
if i may ask how do you keep a enhanced boneless turkey breast from drying out , using a up right drum smoker?
Enhanced or not, I plan on brining overnight. I'm hoping that's the right thing to do. I'm sure it wont hurt.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
mwallinford
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Wallys Way

good deal i'm going to give it a go
mwallinford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #10
gpsguy
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Gerry

For Thanksgiving, I do whole turkeys, but I've done boneless breast before. I brine at least 24 hours, and for the whole turkeys, I've got an herb compound butter that goes under the skin. I also stuff the bird (make sure the stuffing is warm, >100 deg) when it goes in, and put it on smoke immediately, else you might never get the stuffing up to food-safe temps. Since my stuffing goes in moist, that, the brine, and the compound butter help keep everything moist. Typical smoking time is 10-12 hours (depends on weight) shooting for 225 deg, but 200-225 will work.
gpsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 02:39 AM   #11
Lilia
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Lilia

How many people davis cup
?
Lilia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #12
AbbyBarnes
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguy View Post
For Thanksgiving, I do whole turkeys, but I've done boneless breast before. I brine at least 24 hours, and for the whole turkeys, I've got an herb compound butter that goes under the skin. I also stuff the bird (make sure the stuffing is warm, >100 deg) when it goes in, and put it on smoke immediately, else you might never get the stuffing up to food-safe temps. Since my stuffing goes in moist, that, the brine, and the compound butter help keep everything moist. Typical smoking time is 10-12 hours (depends on weight) shooting for 225 deg, but 200-225 will work.
Thanks, will try this out!
AbbyBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote