• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for anyone who has ordered a Franklin Brisket on Goldbelly.com

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm wondering how accurate the shipping/delivery info was. If anyone here has ordered one I'm very interested in hearing your experience.

I ordered one, as a one time thing, just because I want to honestly see how mine compares. Ordered in mid May, and it said it would be delivered on June 28th which is this Tuesday.

Problem is, after two years of working 100% remotely due to the pandemic, I have now been forced to return to the office at least one day a week. That day is generally Tuesdays. Told my Manager I would be in Wednesday instead this week, which is fine, but hoping their shipping is accurate and it doesn't instead show up Wednesday. I don't need that thing sitting on my porch all day while I'm at the office.

The Mrs. went to Austin last month to see the Eagles. She checked online for some take out brisket from Franklin's and they were already sold out. $35 per pound, 5 pound minimum for take out.
Not sure if I would have pulled the trigger even if it had been available.

Goldbelly is an absolute, 100% ripoff. They charge double the price to ship food. If a brisket costs $100, they will charge close to that to ship it. The same goes for any other food product that Goldbelly ships, which is most items. I would NEVER, EVER give them one penny of my money.

1. Franklin BBQ charges $34 per pound for brisket. At 5 pounds, this is $170
2. Goldbelly charges $270 and says it is FREE SHIPPING. LMAO
3. Goldbelly is making a $100 profit to ship 5 pounds. And Franklin is ripping off their customers when they charge $34 per pound

https://franklinbbq.com/menu
https://www.goldbelly.com/franklin-...texas-bbq-sauce?ref=search&search_id=68110227

Last edited:
Goldbelly is an absolute, 100% ripoff. They charge double the price to ship food. If a brisket costs $100, they will charge close to that to ship it. The same goes for any other food product that Goldbelly ships, which is most items. I would NEVER, EVER give them one penny of my money.

1. Franklin BBQ charges $34 per pound for brisket. At 5 pounds, this is $170
2. Goldbelly charges $270 and says it is FREE SHIPPING. LMAO
3. Goldbelly is making a $100 profit to ship 5 pounds. And Franklin is ripping off their customers when they charge $34 per pound

https://franklinbbq.com/menu
https://www.goldbelly.com/franklin-...texas-bbq-sauce?ref=search&search_id=68110227

That seems a bit excessive. Your math implies that shipping actually is free. For $100, Goldbelly had someone go to Franklins and wait to pickup the order, then pack it into a shippable cooler with ice packs that they had previously bought and frozen. Then they shipped it at a presumably quick pace. None of that was free, and yes-as a business, they probably needed to make a few bucks to keep their lights on.

If the brisket is worth $170, well, that's up to you. Personally? I have one in my freezer now. I would have preferred to buy 3-4 sliced pounds and freeze it as such, but due to a change in travel schedules, getting a whole chilled brisket was my only option, as well as some others like the turkey that Sako made look amazing, sausage, etc. I've waited in the line, I've had all the food, and to me-it was worth cost per pound.

Just ran a few numbers, and looks like on the low end, fuel for my drive there and back, was $310. Now, that was paid mileage, but it means if I want another of their briskets, Goldbelly can save me $210. That's better than geico.

Have a couple Texas Monthly (former and current) in the region. $32 & 35 per pound for brisket per online menu. I'd guess TM50 Qjoints are close on brisket pricing. We have a Rudys BBQ that is really good. Some scoff due to its chain, but ours is seriously good Oak smoked meats. Nothing is as cost effective as eating at home if you only look at costs not time. Rudy's online pricing is several dollars per pound lower. There are 10-15 perhaps more brick and mortar Q restaurants and several trucks.
On those rare occasions I want someone else's brisket it's Rudy's. Think they ship too

Good morning TravelingJ - there is so many things wrong with your reply that I don't even know where to begin

1. I never said it was FREE SHIPPING. Goldbelly said it. Look at their website.
2. $34 per pound is a ripoff and insane
3. Goldbelly has shipping locations all over the US. If you think that they are sending one guy, in one truck, to pick up on brisket, you know nothing about commerce and business. So no, it doesn't cost $310 in fuel.

Here are a few reasons for $34 per pound...

1. I am sure it is very good brisket
2. Texas Monthly and the "myth" that their list promotes in Texas
3. There is no "best" bbq. Just like there is no best pizza, bagel, salsa, taco, etc. There is your own preference and style. Franklin is not any better than Stubbs, Rendevouz, Smitty's, and countless other "legendary" bbq places throughout the USA
4. People are gullible
5. Austin is a large city with lots of dumb tourists who are willing to fork over whatever the asking price is just so they can tell their equally dumb friends and family "I tried it." He could raise it to $40 per pound (and I am sure he will) and these morons would still buy it. And, they would still wait in line for 2-3 hours.

I would NEVER pay that much for a pound of anything and I sure as hell would never wait more than 10-15 minutes to order food.

3. There is no "best" bbq. Just like there is no best pizza, bagel, salsa, taco, etc. There is your own preference and style. Franklin is not any better than Stubbs, Rendevouz, Smitty's, and countless other "legendary" bbq places throughout the USA
4. People are gullible
5. Austin is a large city with lots of dumb tourists who are willing to fork over whatever the asking price is just so they can tell their equally dumb friends and family "I tried it." He could raise it to $40 per pound (and I am sure he will) and these morons would still buy it. And, they would still wait in line for 2-3 hours.

I would NEVER pay that much for a pound of anything and I sure as hell would never wait more than 10-15 minutes to order food.

Yeah ummm Franklin's is better than those places. Have you eaten at them? Stubbs isn't good food - just a great venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. People are gullible

I'm sorry but your number 3 statement might be the most preposterous statement of the day. You mention that you have "your own preference and style" but then followed by, "Franklin is not any better than Stubbs, Rendevouz, Smitty's, and countless other "legendary" bbq places throughout the USA."

Huh? So I can have my own preferences except for Franklin's?

You also mention lots of "dumb" tourists but go onto list every big bbq tourist location and say it's not better. Huh?

I'm sorry but but bbq is not all the same. If you're walking into a place and eating "Nirvana" type of bbq in under 10-15 minute wait time I'd probably question what you're eating.....

I was in the travel business for 30+ years. I had the opportunity to travel all over the world and the USA. I have literally been to every single state except North Dakota. I also owned and operated a wine bar/restaurant in NYC for several years and went to The French Culinary Institute in NYC. I think I am more than qualified to judge food, taste, appearance, quality, and value.

Yes, I have been to all of the places I mentioned - plus hundreds more. And yes, they are equally as good, if not better than Franklin's As I mentioned, there is no "best" of anything.

BTW - some of the best bbq places in the world are not in America. Brazil, Spain, Puerto Rico and Mexico have bbq that will blow away about 50% of the stuff I had in America.

Brisket by the pound around here is $30 for the good stuff. I see no issue with Franklin charging $34. Supply and demand.

Now, for the original poster, when I get wine by FedEx or UPS, it has to be signed for. I set it to go to one of their nearby locations where I can pick it up. I suspect you might be able to do the same. You should get an email saying it is there and ready for you.

Last edited:
Weber - I use those others as a frame of reference. Who the hell would know the countless others out the that are not popular? Duh!

I didn't knock Franklin's nor did I say I have a preference for one place over another.

So you equate wait time with quality? You know nothing about business or food prep. You are just the type of gullible customer I talked about. Sorry, but your type would make a guy like me thousands of dollars a week, and has - just like Franklin counts on.

Back