BGE getting closer to the fire

hedonsmbot

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone post a recommendation for a product that would let me cook closer to the coals in my BGE? A smaller diameter grate that i can hand from the fire ring?

Thanks.

Spider from Ceramic Grill Store.

Attachments

• C00F53FC-D030-4869-A8F5-B776BC566788.jpeg
    C00F53FC-D030-4869-A8F5-B776BC566788.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 209
  • AB4E9053-F4DA-462A-AF43-B2B2B0956594.jpg
    AB4E9053-F4DA-462A-AF43-B2B2B0956594.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 242
I’ve been known to place my elevated grate over the coals in the firebox. I can adjust the coals to the desired distance between heat and meat

Last edited:
Spider from Ceramic Grill Store.

Beat me to it!

It is handy to throw in a low down diffuser in the form of a small cheap pizza stone too. I run a Big Steel Keg two level grill in the egg and the spyder ring allows it all to fit and to run indirect.

Sorry no photos.

That Spider looks great but I can't find one local (I'm in Canada)

I inquired at my go-to BBQ store and they suggested this:

eggspander-kit-800x800_1024x1024.jpg

Eggspander

$265 is pretty pricey though. I'm on the fence as to whether I should just pay the international shipping for the spider.

Does anyone have experience with the 5pc. Eggspander?

Last edited:
attachment.php

Is that the Weber Sear Grate?

I bought the Spider from Ceramic Grill Store's Canadian affiliate now I just need a grate and a wok.

attachment.php

Is that the Weber Sear Grate?

I bought the Spider from Ceramic Grill Store's Canadian affiliate now I just need a grate and a wok.

Yes sir. That is the ole Weber sear grate. Also any grate for the small BGE or minimax will work on the spider.

Last edited:
The Weber sear grate is actually a tad small but I use it nonetheless. A grate from the small BGE/minimax fits much better. If memory serves they are 13” in diameter.

That Spider looks great but I can't find one local (I'm in Canada)

I inquired at my go-to BBQ store and they suggested this:

eggspander-kit-800x800_1024x1024.jpg

Eggspander

$265 is pretty pricey though. I'm on the fence as to whether I should just pay the international shipping for the spider.

Does anyone have experience with the 5pc. Eggspander?

I had a spyder and a woo ring delivered from the Ceramic Grill Store to Calgary. Wasn't cheap but it was worth it. I use the woo ring almost every cook and the spyder for lighting the chimney and the occasional high temp sear.

Back