MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #16
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
So about the foil. Saw some guy on youtube do it. Wrapped the stone and kept the pizza on foil. Easy to transfer. I don't have a peel and no cornmeal. Slid the foil with pizza on it onto a cookie sheet. I rolled the foil underneath to get off once on cutting board. That way seemed to work best because it stuck just a little. Tried putting a little olive oil on the foil which worked out good too
This foil trick makes a lot of sense. Joe, those pies look awesome!
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #17
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Pizzaque. Instead of foil, I bought some mesh screens from WebstaurantStore. We hit them with spray oil and build them from there. They cook nicely and have a good crust. Easy to turn around half way and come right off when we are ready. Stick them in the dishwasher so cleanup is easy. No mess on the stone.

I will also second the home-made crust dough. My wife has a sourdough recipe for dough that is outstanding. We used to buy the dough from Publix but now we make our own. It freezes well for the weeks we can't use it fresh.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
So about the foil. Saw some guy on youtube do it. Wrapped the stone and kept the pizza on foil. Easy to transfer. I don't have a peel and no cornmeal. Slid the foil with pizza on it onto a cookie sheet. I rolled the foil underneath to get off once on cutting board. That way seemed to work best because it stuck just a little. Tried putting a little olive oil on the foil which worked out good too
Here is what I would try next time, just to see if you like the results better, worse or maybe they turn out the same.

Ditch the foil altogether. Get your bare stone nice and preheated. Build your pizza on a piece of parchment paper instead of foil. Slide it onto your stone, and after a couple minutes the crust SHOULD be set up enough to use some spatulas and remove the parchment paper. Now you'll be cooking directly on the stone for the majority of the cook. Curious to see how that would change things for you.

Pies look good!
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #19
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Did you get a good wood fired oven taste with the charcoal?

I use my GMC pizza oven insert for the first time last weekend and didn’t get any wood fire flavor, wound up with ash everywhere, and I had to rotate the pizza every 30 seconds so the back wouldn’t burn due to uneven heating. Unless I see improvement In Wood flavor I’m going to stick with my kitchen oven that has a much bigger stone and even heating.

A pizza peel is only around $15 and is well worth it if you are going to make pizzas. Get a wood peel to insert them and a metal peel to take them out.
The taste was of a wood fired. I ran RO Chef's Select might try a wood chunk in the basket next time just to see the difference