MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default 1st time smoking sausage

Hi All I made some smoking sausages using Lem's products. They have been stuffed and in the fridge "drying out". Can I also dry them outside of the fridge?
Best way to smoke them, my pellet smoker only goes as low as 180*.

Thanks Dan

Old 10-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Which seasoning mix did you use?? I believe some of the LEM products contain cure #1 and some don't. The Cure #1 allow you to be in the "danger zone" longer for lower smoke temps. If you did not use cure #1, I would hot smoke them at 225 to 250 and cook them to an internal 160 and enjoy. Welcome to the fun world of sausage making.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did you use Cure #1 or add nonfat dry milk to the mix?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
Which seasoning mix did you use?? I believe some of the LEM products contain cure #1 and some don't. The Cure #1 allow you to be in the "danger zone" longer for lower smoke temps. If you did not use cure #1, I would hot smoke them at 225 to 250 and cook them to an internal 160 and enjoy. Welcome to the fun world of sausage making.

Hi They have cure in them. They are already mixed & stuffed..Best way to get them dry before smoking? Temps & time for the smoking process?

Thanks DanB

Old 10-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Hang them in your pellet cooker, set to the lowest it can hold and smoke until the sausage has an internal of 160. that is what I would do.

4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers

Old 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
Hang them in your pellet cooker, set to the lowest it can hold and smoke until the sausage has an internal of 160. that is what I would do.

Hi My lowest setting on my pellet grill is 180*..I have the lid open some so the grill temp is 175*. How long before the sausages reach 160?
Thanks DanB

Old 10-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

I am only guessing here, to many variables to be sure. But I would start checking around 3 or 4 hours. A good instant read thermo will give you the answer.

4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers

Old 10-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
thirdeye

You really want the temp to creep up slowly or you run the risk of the sausage fatting out, which is when the fats and proteins break, which makes your sausage crumbly and dry.

Try blocking the lid open farther, or simply turn off the smoker every 30 minutes, then turn it on in 20 to 30 minutes. This might give you an average of 150° which is perfect.

When you are done, shower the sausage with a sprayer, or put it into a bus tub with cold water. This will stop the cooking and help prevent it from wrinkling. 152° is safe since you have cure, many people pull at 155° just to have a safe margin.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All
  • Finally got them smoked..Pulled at 155* a little over 2 hrs @ 175..Hickory in the hopper.cherry/apple in the smoke tube.

• ·
    After the ice bath & sliced. The beef ones were kinda tough & pretty much taste less.They weren't juicy at all? I did use phosphates to help retain the moisture?The bratwurst were just OK. Well I got the experience of smoking sausage, out of the way.Thanks guys for your help, getting thru this. Well I got the experience of smoking sausage, out of the way Now I need a good recipe for Texas sausage.

DanB

Old 10-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #10
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

After you mixed, but before you stuffed. Did you do a taste test? Always Pan fry a small amount and you can make adjustments to the seasoning. I find the tough casings can come from too much time in the fridge drying.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers

Old 10-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All
  • Finally got them smoked..Pulled at 155* a little over 2 hrs @ 175..Hickory in the hopper.cherry/apple in the smoke tube.

• ·
    After the ice bath & sliced. The beef ones were kinda tough & pretty much taste less.They weren't juicy at all? I did use phosphates to help retain the moisture?The bratwurst were just OK. Well I got the experience of smoking sausage, out of the way.Thanks guys for your help, getting thru this. Well I got the experience of smoking sausage, out of the way Now I need a good recipe for Texas sausage.

DanB
Aw man... you didn't mention you had a pellet tube.... you could have just used that for a couple of hours, then kept it going and cycled your smoker on and off.

Regarding the dryness, what was the ratio of beef in those, it has to be somewhat fatty or cut with pork. The reason I asked about the dry milk was that it helps with moisture retention. What was your percentage of Amesphos, the range is 0.3% to 0.5% and it should have helped. And how much icy water did you recipe call for?

Look up Bigwheels World Famous Texas Hot Links. I omit the beef and go with all pork. Also the Tender Quick is mainly for flavor, texture and color... the amount is not enough to safely cold smoke.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Aw man... you didn't mention you had a pellet tube.... you could have just used that for a couple of hours, then kept it going and cycled your smoker on and off.

Regarding the dryness, what was the ratio of beef in those, it has to be somewhat fatty or cut with pork. The reason I asked about the dry milk was that it helps with moisture retention. What was your percentage of Amesphos, the range is 0.3% to 0.5% and it should have helped. And how much icy water did you recipe call for?

Look up Bigwheels World Famous Texas Hot Links. I omit the beef and go with all pork. Also the Tender Quick is mainly for flavor, texture and color... the amount is not enough to safely cold smoke.

Hi I was also thinking maybe the chuck roast wasn't fatty enough. Next time I trim briskets I know what I'm going to do with the fat.
Amesphos=phosphates 4.5 grams/1 teaspoon per lb. Water was 1 once per lb Lem's directions on package.
DanB

Old 10-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi I was also thinking maybe the chuck roast wasn't fatty enough. Next time I trim briskets I know what I'm going to do with the fat.
Amesphos=phosphates 4.5 grams/1 teaspoon per lb. Water was 1 once per lb Lem's directions on package.
DanB
The volume measurement for AmesPhos is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pound, so you were double the amount, which I would guess can't contribute to the dryness. Now, phosphates are dissolved in little water before adding it to the meat. In theory, this would reduce the amount of icy water called in the recipe, but all you are really looking for is a sticky texture. After it rests overnight the liquid equalizes anyway.

A chuck is between 80:20 and 75:25 and a lot of all beef sausages are higher than that. Or you can add some ground pork.

Another finishing option for smoked sausage has always been poaching, and this is how a lot of hot dogs, smoked kielbasa and summer sausage is finished.... but it's the 21st century. Do you happen to have a sous vide circulator? For 5 or 6 years sausage makers have been cold smoking their sausage (with cure), bagging it (some don't even bag it) and put it into a sous vide bath for the finish. With poaching or sous vide it's impossible to over-cook it and it stays really moist. I cure brined some chicken breasts for lunch and salad meat and cool/hot smoked it today for 2.5 hours until the internal temp was 100°. Now I have it in the sous vide container at 147°. It will take 60 to 75 minutes to pasteurize the chicken and make it safe. Beef or pork sausage can be SVd as low as 152° for an hour or so and will be pasteurized, but texture wise some go to maybe 158°. You just need to find a sweet spot.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

You could also use a dehydrator to slowly cook them at low temps to prevent fat out.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
The volume measurement for AmesPhos is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pound, so you were double the amount, which I would guess can't contribute to the dryness. Now, phosphates are dissolved in little water before adding it to the meat. In theory, this would reduce the amount of icy water called in the recipe, but all you are really looking for is a sticky texture. After it rests overnight the liquid equalizes anyway.

A chuck is between 80:20 and 75:25 and a lot of all beef sausages are higher than that. Or you can add some ground pork.

Another finishing option for smoked sausage has always been poaching, and this is how a lot of hot dogs, smoked kielbasa and summer sausage is finished.... but it's the 21st century. Do you happen to have a sous vide circulator? For 5 or 6 years sausage makers have been cold smoking their sausage (with cure), bagging it (some don't even bag it) and put it into a sous vide bath for the finish. With poaching or sous vide it's impossible to over-cook it and it stays really moist. I cure brined some chicken breasts for lunch and salad meat and cool/hot smoked it today for 2.5 hours until the internal temp was 100°. Now I have it in the sous vide container at 147°. It will take 60 to 75 minutes to pasteurize the chicken and make it safe. Beef or pork sausage can be SVd as low as 152° for an hour or so and will be pasteurized, but texture wise some go to maybe 158°. You just need to find a sweet spot.

Hi No sous vide here. Sliced few last night, I can see them maybe being tough& dry but being tasteless. These were from a premix package.Went back and read the reviews,all good? Today I will test the fresh bratwurst. Could I have smoked them at a too high temp made them dry?

Thanks DanB

PS They were so bad they are headed for the garbage.

Last edited by DanB; 10-29-2020 at 09:15 AM..
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote