MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #16
glitchy
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Shane

I will say that cherry pellets or blends with cherry will add some pretty color to your food. Outside of that, I haven’t noticed much taste difference on any I’ve tried other than 100% hickory being stronger than blends and those that use base/flavor combos.

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
Whodat985
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Whodat985

Well we will soon see the 700 came in yesterday an is set up an ready for the burn in this morning with the brisket test after to check for hot spots. Guy putting this grill together I’m very impressed. They didn’t skimp one anything might be the best investment I’ve made yet. If you gonna sink 800 into a Traeger get extra an buy rec tec
Whodat985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #18
jzadski
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Buy smaller bags and have fun experimenting.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #19
1MoreFord
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Cookin' Pellets, Lumberjack, and Bear Mountain all said to be good pellets. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Camp Chef pellets seem to be good. Considering where you are B&B pellets from Academy Sports may be your best bet. They are rebranded BBQer's Delight pellets at a very good price.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn & Original Ok Joe Vertical Roasting Oven hybrid, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
Taybear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Taylor

Can't add a ton - but I have been using Lumberjack for 2 years or so now and have never had any issues. If you live near a Rural King, they're $8.88 for a 20lb bag ($7.77 last year on Black Friday). For the money, not sure you can beat it. I use the Maple/Cherry competition blend and 100% oak are my two favorites. One thing about the RK near me, the selection is somewhat limited.
Taybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #21
Curt.P
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybear View Post
Can't add a ton...
I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (58.5 KB, 48 views)
Curt.P is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #22
Taybear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt.P View Post
I can.
You might have more than my local Rural King typically has in stock in that picture.
Taybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #23
NoCoPk360
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Fred

I mainly use Lumberjack and have had good results. The Lowes next to my house had the Weber Hickory pellets on clearance for 10 bucks a bag so picked up a few. Tried them yesterday and they were great the chuck roast had great smoke flavor. They normally charge 16 bucks a bag which I would never pay, but if your Lowes has them on clearance they are pretty good.
NoCoPk360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Pellet grills are easy to use. No real tricks other than to make sure it is plugged in. Just understand that these grills burn really clean so for more smoke flavor you need to cook at low temperatures. This is especially important with large cuts like brisket and pork butt.

As far as pellets go, I have found the very best is cookinpellets 100% hickory. If I want a lighter smoke flavor I like cookinpellets perfect mix, which is really nice. I have used Lumberjack and it is good too. B&B is good too and is really easy to find around here. Best place to buy is at Academy Sports. Their post oak is nasty as hell but mesquite and Pecan is really good. In fact their pecan is by favorite pecan of any brand.

But it really boils down to what is readily available in your area. Half the fun is trying a bunch of different brands and types and seeing what works for you

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, BPS drum
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote