Ribs?

I prefer the tenderness comp style. The wife likes em fall off the bone.

Neither. I cook naked, aiming for some tug when you bite off the bone.

I had to read this a few times before I figured out what you were really saying. My first thought was "I don't want to know that", followed by, "why would he write that", and finally got to, "oh, he doesn't wrap his ribs in tinfoil".

Last edited:
I had to read this a few times before I figured out what you were really saying. My first thought was "I don't want to know that", followed by, "why would he write that", and finally got to, "oh, he doesn't wrap hi ribs in tinfoil".
I live in the country, I can if I want to.:p

Not sure what "comp style is" but, I like a little bite to the rib meat.

I like a little tug when I bite my ribs and I've always cooked ribs naked myself.

Growing up, I ate ribs falling off, to just finished. The first rack I made, on my brinkman bullet that doesn't cook hot, I went by time and they were just barely tender, as were my next few. I learned about the bend test, six or so years ago and that has been my guide. Being a bbq judge, has influenced me so I make them close to tender-on-the-bone as possible.

Depends on who I'm cooking for. If it's just me...a bit spicy with more of a "comp style" bite them...if it's my family...they LOVE them fall-off-the-bone and then smothered with...wait for it...Sweet Baby Ray's straight out of the bottle. Give the people what they want!...well..that and wear shoes...right?

Comp style - for me falling off the bone isn’t the most appealing texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've never eaten a true competition rib. But I have always striven to make them bite through but not fall off the bone like a comp style. I mean it has a bone! Do people like biting into an ice cream popsicle and have the ice cream fall off the stick???? MADNESS!!!!

Back