Makin Bacon

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After seeing someone else (Goes by BSA) make some bacon, I was shopping in Costco and what do I see? Oooo pork bellies.

Today I went out and got some curing salt from the local butcher and put together the ingredients for two different cures. I used the Simple Bacon (but I added extra pepper) and the Maple Bacon recipes from AmazingRibs.com. (Link: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html)

Each piece was going to be 2 lbs. so I doubled the amounts and put them in 1 gal. zip-lock bags and mixed it up real well.

I got out the pork belly

and unwrapped it.

I got out a tape measure so I could get 4 uniform pieces. (4 1/2” each)

Put these in the bag and rubbed in the cure as bet I could. I then squeezed out as much air as I could and sealed them up.

Now the wait begins and as you know “The waaaiting is the hardest part!”

you got pork bellies in costco? you're lucky!!! remember to give it a soak in cold water overnight before smoking so it is not overly salty.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

I want to learn how to do this as well. There's something kinda manly about smoking and making things like this. Sort of like 'real men smoke their own'. Takes us back to the old pioneering days where folks used what God gave em and worked out the best ways to make use of it.

nice, I'll have to check out our Costco to see if they have them and give it a try.
Like you, all this talk of makin bacon has me wanting to.

I grew up with the family home curing bacon and hams. There is nothing you can buy in the store that will compare. You will love it.

Back