MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Dan2276
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Attempting Whole Hog and have some question

So for a friends birthday I am going to do a whole hog. I'll have a cinder block pit with a cage that the pig will go into. I can afford about a 70 lbs pig, but may have 80 people show up. I'm thinking I may have to do 20-30 lbs of shoulder for good measure. Or am I off base here. What are your thoughts?
Dan2276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

your gonna get about a 35% yield figuring a 6 oz serving per person do the math. I'd cook a few butts and chop it right in with the hog

Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

All the numbers say a 70 Lbs. Pig will feed 70 people and I've found that to be very close however, it is hard for me to depend on that when there is so much at stake with friends and family as your critics. I would probably add an additional butt or two for good measure with 85 people. (2) 8Lbs. Butts should feed 25 people plus 70 for the pig. I think you should be able to feed 95 people safely. Good luck! A pig pickin is a lot of fun!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

I would add a couple 8-10 pound butts. If your pit can handle them all at the same time, you should be good to go
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I agree with all of the above. Also, having a bit extra is better than running out.
Good luck with your cook!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote