MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

Default Chargriller Outlaw

A few topics:

1. So after reading about how terrible the stock temp gauge is on chargrillers, I would like to install something more accurate.

I know what I want to put in, but my question is, where do I install it. Keep in mind that I do not have the side fire box. Do I install one, center it down low right above the handle or install it on the left hand side at grate level if I plan to keep my fire on the right side? Do I install two, one on each side? Does it still make sense to have two even though I don't have the sfb?

2. I've read about a chargriller charcoal basket that they perhaps sold on their website at one time. Is it still available? Is it for the sfb or can it be used in the main chamber?

3. I've only used my chargriller once so far, seasoned it and then put some chops on yesterday. Durring the seasoning I went through 2 chimneys of cheap "instant light" charcoal that my wife bought. I noticed a lot of ash in the ash pan and seemed to snuff out the coals toward the end of the seasoning process. When I went to put my chops on I had to stoke the coals to get the excess ash off and moved them over to a spot that wasnt full of ash to get the heat up. It seems this could be an issue for long cooks so how do you keep the ash from getting too high, would a basket help (hence question #2), or is it as simple as buying better quality charcoal?

4. I'm guessing a lot of my questions would go away if I would just bite the bullet and get the sfb? But then I'd probably have a set of different questions,lol.

Thanks everyone!
El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i would put the gauges at or near grate level. run a tube from the exhaust to the grate. baskets do help. i made some from exp metal. mucho info here,
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467

Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
starvinmarvin
On the road to being a farker

Whew - thats a lotta q's. 1st - I would highly recommend getting a sfb. Its the best way to manage your heat source without losing heat unnecessarily by opening the top. Its $60 well spent.

2nd - most swear by BBK (Blue Bag Kingsford), though I'm sure all would agree that "instant light" is not the best choice since it tends to leave unpleasant taste in your food. Many like lump hardwood, most say it burns hotter - though my experience is not the same. On the ash accumulation: I did a 15hr smoke yesterday in a sfb, and the temps were good right until the end (I have a CG Duo with a sfb). You might get better results with an ash can to dump ash in along the way than with a charcoal basket (others may weigh in with different/better ideas).

Bottom line - get a sfb, and use good fuel - its better in the long run. Good luck, bro.
starvinmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

So I found a chargriller patio pro (#1515) locally on Craigslist. Am I correct in thinking that I can just take the legs and shelf off and attach it to the Outlaw?
El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, you can take the SFB off one and put it on another. I have the outlaw w/SFB and would not recommend adding it. With the chimney mod and a little work to seal the chamber better you will get better results out of inderect in the chamber. The metal is too thin and the slide out ash pan is almost impossible to seal good enough for accurate temperature control IMHO. I know there are people who disagree with me, and they will probably be along soon, but that's just my $.02. The grilling surface is large enough to do two racks of ribs with a charcoal basket and some bricks or whatever you want to use to partition it off with. If you want an offset without spending a lot, I would get the Smokin Pro or the other small model, I can't remember the name of it. That being said:

I added two thermos to my Outlaw, an inch above the grate, evenly space across the lid. They do show temps much closer to what my Maverick reads.

Here is the basket I made.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

This thread has a lot of useful CG mods and advise.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76440

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote