MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Checking In, How Ya Doing?

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing? How have you shifted to get cash flow without catering? For those who are still able to cater, how are things going?

We have not been able to cater here since early March, to date I have lost every catering job I had through mid-July and had a full schedule. We've been operating the food truck some and had pretty good sales. We are on lockdown through June 10th and nonessential businesses are set to begin opening later this week. Starting last week we began seeing a problem with the food supply chain. I tried to order butts, brisket, pork ribs, and chicken through Sysco last week at could get NONE of it. I was able to get 3 cases of butts through US Foods but no more. Tried today for this week and the same with Sysco and US Foods not expecting butts until mid-week. It's so frustrating, we did receive the forgivable loan of the government but it wasn't much help. They gave our business $1000.00, we've lost 50% of our annual sales so far. Meanwhile, my brother in law and his wife who make a combined $1000 per week when working are laid off and the government is giving them an additional $1200 every week on top of regular unemployment. Oh well, I saw the business section had not had a post in over a month and figured I'd check in with everyone to see how it's going. After all, we are the only ones who will understand each others current situations.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Havent had supply issues yet. I mostly buy local meats from my meat wholesaler, so they aren't trying to accommodate the entire country. Brisket finally went up 50% this last week. The property owner of my commissary is letting me and another truck park in frot8of the building, business has been ok there. I've also been parking in front of a shuttered gas station and that's been doing quite well, as good as if not better than any taproom would do during normal operations.. been to a few taprooms, but like usual hit or miss. Started getting catering requests this week. My june events are still going forward as planned. Only real supply issue is packaging, with everyone doing takeout, boxes and bags can be tough to get, same with gloves. These are now items I buy no matter if I need them or not. If they're stocked they're coming with me. I use Restaurant Depot for my broadline, not ready to switch to Us Foods or Sysco yet, getting close.
My gas station location has been good, so any open dates left in the summer may just be spent there and if any taprooms close up, this is my backup spot. Almost everyday 1-2ppl tell me i should take over the building and open up inside. My response is always, keep coming and get your neighbors and friends and maybe it will happen. They of course have no idea the cost of the build out. They're just happy to see something other than an eyesore at that intersection. 3 boarded up buildings and a city-owned vacant lot.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->