THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AggieBoilerQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Ray
Looking for some tips. Never done one of these before. Family is not big on rare meats, so I want to go the other way.

Thinking of 275 on the smoker with oak and pecan, salt & pepper.

How long should I expect it to go? Should I foil it? What temp to wrap, and end?

There have been threads where folks have cooked tri-tip like a brisket. I'd treat it like a brisket flat and wrap with some broth etc once you have the color you like. Cook it until probe tender. I would imagine tri-tip would probe tender before the 200 range, but I haven't personally cooked one using this method.

Howdy from the other side of Wabash! I have had pretty good results when I cook tri-tip and treated like a large steak. I do mine on Weber kettle indirect heat, Then directly over the coals to sear it and finish. If you like yours more well done with little to no pink I would say keep it over the indirect heat until the internal temperature is around 130 then put it directly over the coals. If you do a test cut and it still two pink move it back to the indirect side and put the cover on and let it sit for a few minutes. Hope this helps good luck, And boiler up!

West Lafayette here too. I'm also in the cook indirect and sear to finish camp with tri tip. Treat very much like a thick steak.

BOILER DOWN, unfortunately they're getting murdered by Minnesota

I sear it on the Weber Kettle after seasoning with Carne Costa, constantly flipping about every 60 seconds to get the crust I want while not cooking through (keeps the grey band from forming).

Then I stick either in the oven or in the smoker at 225 degrees until I reach medium rare.

Absolutely wonderful.

I have not done one yet. However, if you treat it like a steak, and you want it cooked pass rare, I would recommend a reverse sear (cause my steaks are awesome that way) and cook on low to maybe to 155°, then sear to finish. That way you just hit medium well (with no pink), without overcooking it?

Might work, but it's lean, so I can't imagine treating it the same. I'd do it like prime rib and bump the time for well done. Oak and almond work well, so pecan should be good.

I like to sear on both sides and then finish indirect around 300 degrees...For no pink but still tender cook to 150 and then rest it for 10+ minutes...

I go indirect, either on the kettle or in the smoker. When it reaches 115*, it goes direct in the kettle for a good sear and I pull at 125*. Tri tip is super good, when you want lean beef. Cut against the grain, of course.

Thanks everyone.

To keep from drying out I put the meat (2.7 lbs) on early as the smoker was coming up to temp, and used water in the water pan for the first time in a decade. I hit it hard early with smoke too.

It took less than 2 hrs to get to 150 at a smoker temp of 230. I foiled it at that point. It’s at 190 now and I’ll remove it at 200, and let it sit in a cooler until we’re ready to eat. That’ll be 4 hrs total on the heat application.

Verdict tonight.

Actually turned out good. Family came back for seconds (me too).

It’s not gonna win any contests, but for beefy oak-pecan twang, it hit the spot. It was like a brisket flat. Not juicy, not dry. If I hadn’t foiled it, and without the water pan, I would bet it would have been very dry.

When I wrapped it, it was kind of an unappealing pinkish light brown soft mushy bark, and I didn’t think it would ever get better in the foil, but it blackened up (probably due to surface moisture loss).

I’d do it again. $20 worth of meat.

Back