Pop-Up Canopy Leg Weights

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on canopy leg weights, both manufactured and DIY homemade types - Photo's if possible. I've been using 5 gallon buckets or the 60# tubes I can buy for winter driving... only $5 but they don't hold up that great and are a mess when they break.

This is what we use. Have been using them every weekend for the past two years. Have been happy with them. Compact and sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TJ2JPO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3AKZzbEABPT29

I neglected to mention we get some unusual winds, 20 mph is common. I'm thinking 35 to 40 pounds per leg is a minimum

XVfsclN.jpg

I have tried many things and what i found I like best is the blue water jugs, I believe they are 7 gallons. Fill up when you get to location and dump before you leave. Then at the height I like, I am able to rub tie down strap through the handle on the water jug and yet hook to 2 different bars on the canopy.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...qid=1506690985&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+water+jug

Never thought of these, I have a pair of 6 gallon ones for camping water.... however they might not be a good choice during ice fishing season :biggrin1:

I neglected to mention we get some unusual winds, 20 mph is common. I'm thinking 35 to 40 pounds per leg is a minimum

We own two sets and double them up on the legs on really windy days. We do get 25-30 mph gusts in some places here as well. Especially along the delta.

They're a little over 6lbs each.

If things get especially hairy, I use a bungie from a corner to the beer cooler. ;)

When we cooked out of pop-ups I used these Gravity Tubes from Undercover. They're basically hanging bags that you fill with water. I would fill them up when I got to an event, then dump them out when breaking down. The bags rolled up decently small for easy storage when not in use. I liked not having to carry the extra weight around all the time. Their marketing jargon says a set will add 180 pounds of weight to your tent.

http://a.co/75ebeV7

imageService

Last edited:
It kind of depends on how your set up goes. If you are using a tent that has side walls that zip together at the corners, you might consider the sand bags that wrap around the leg of the tent. Then you can still zip the side walls together.

I usually have my tent up against my cargo trailer, so I use rope to tie the tent off to the cargo trailer. On the other side, I use those black weight plates. If I know that we are in for a windy weekend, I'll try and park the truck on the other side and tie the tent with rope off to the truck, so its cargo trailer, tent, truck.

5 gallons of water weighs 40lbs. I use buckets of water, and only when winds start getting in the upper teens do I have concerns. But I usually have 1 or 2 side walls up on canopy and they are basically giant sails, but if its windy and I don't have walls up, stuff is going to blow away as well.

Personally i like 5 gallon buckets. Fill with water on site and you have 40 lbs per leg. Secure with ratchet straps and that thing aint going anywhere. Plus they stack inside each other when done so they are easy to store.

Personally i like 5 gallon buckets. Fill with water on site and you have 40 lbs per leg. Secure with ratchet straps and that thing aint going anywhere. Plus they stack inside each other when done so they are easy to store.

I'm leaning toward trying the 5 gallon buckets with either water or sand, the price is reasonable enough.

5gallon buckets with water. Don’t transport dead weight. Bonus is you’ll have almost 20g of water on hand for whatever gets thrown at you

I'm leaning toward trying the 5 gallon buckets with either water or sand, the price is reasonable enough.

Just remember the handles fail first. I use them to haul dirt, and my toes have taught me this.

Real High winds it almost doesn't matter what is holding your tent down. Even if secured to the ground you'll bend the legs and tear the canopies. I have seen guys break out concrete bits and drill their tents straight into the pavement before on 30-40mph wind days

If you use sand, they take up more space. If you bring them empty, you can use water from the site and then dump when done. THen stack them up inside themselves and roll

I use 5 orange gallon buckets from the big home store. I remove the metal handles and drill a hole in them near the rim to attach the cord. I fill them with water on site and attach them to the popup frame using parachute cord with a taunt line hitch.

I use 5 orange gallon buckets from the big home store. I remove the metal handles and drill a hole in them near the rim to attach the cord. I fill them with water on site and attach them to the popup frame using parachute cord with a taunt line hitch.

I had thought of mounting a pair of D-ring on opposing sides of the buckets for attachment points. If I mounted them at 90° to the handle I could still leave the handle intact.

Back