MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I'm leaning toward trying the 5 gallon buckets with either water or sand, the price is reasonable enough.
Just remember the handles fail first. I use them to haul dirt, and my toes have taught me this.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #17
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Real High winds it almost doesn't matter what is holding your tent down. Even if secured to the ground you'll bend the legs and tear the canopies. I have seen guys break out concrete bits and drill their tents straight into the pavement before on 30-40mph wind days
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
DR
Take a breath!

Quote:
I'm leaning toward trying the 5 gallon buckets with either water or sand, the price is reasonable enough.
If you use sand, they take up more space. If you bring them empty, you can use water from the site and then dump when done. THen stack them up inside themselves and roll

Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
ffemtreed
Got Wood.

I use 5 orange gallon buckets from the big home store. I remove the metal handles and drill a hole in them near the rim to attach the cord. I fill them with water on site and attach them to the popup frame using parachute cord with a taunt line hitch.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemtreed View Post
I use 5 orange gallon buckets from the big home store. I remove the metal handles and drill a hole in them near the rim to attach the cord. I fill them with water on site and attach them to the popup frame using parachute cord with a taunt line hitch.
I had thought of mounting a pair of D-ring on opposing sides of the buckets for attachment points. If I mounted them at 90° to the handle I could still leave the handle intact.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
ffemtreed
Got Wood.

Quote:
I had thought of mounting a pair of D-ring on opposing sides of the buckets for attachment points. If I mounted them at 90° to the handle I could still leave the handle intact.
I remove the handles because it make unstacking the buckets easier (handles don't get tangled in each other). Also saves the fingers from getting pinched when carrying. I carry 8 buckets with me to hold down two or three 10X10 popups.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:07 AM   #22
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeyton89 View Post
I have seen guys break out concrete bits and drill their tents straight into the pavement before on 30-40mph wind days
I definitely don't recommend this. Damaging pavement is usually cause for ejection from a contest, a bill for repairing the surface or both!