MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Smokin-Canuck
Got Wood.

Default Sorry to Ask....But Which Grill

I know this question has likely been asked a dozen times but I'm stuck on a decision and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Let me first say a I have a WSM 18.5" as my go-to smoker and I love it. I have a Weber Q320 as a gasser so the void currently is a charcoal grill. I have a buddy who bought my Weber Performer (Silver) - he really liked the space-saving fold down table for his small patio.

Soooooooo..........Akorn or Performer Platnium? Just remember, I have the WSM as the smoking work-horse - so although this purchase could be responsible for the odd smaller smoke, most of it's work will be grilling and high temp cooks e.g. steaks.

Personally I'm leaning towards a "crimson" Performer for the following reasons:

- bigger grill
- more versatile
- easier 2 zone setups
- Weber quality, warranty, parts availability, etc....
- the new crimson is "sexy"

Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Either one would do a fine job, but I think all of your reasons to lean toward the performer are good ones. It would be very hard to regret betting the Performer.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I just used my performer today for the first time in a long time to grill 6 rib eyes and 2 t bones and I will say the performer rocks! And before I ever owned an actual smoker, I learned to smoke ribs on my performer. Nothing short of an awesome grill!
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Weber. Their customer service cannot be beaten.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Weber Dude.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

I'd go for the Weber why well lets say i have a thing for them!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
smoke ninja

Being from a cold climate the akorn would be fuel efficient and you have a good smoker already. ........but I can say for sure that a weber will last at least a decade, probably way longer. I'm sure the akorn will last with care but ain't nobody got time for that. So my conclusion is to build a drum.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
smoke ninja

If you cook a lot at one time a 26 kettle would suit your needs for that price, you just have to build a table.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Performer Platinum ....gas assist. The best all around grill/smoker on the market and so easy to operate and clean.jmho
jjjonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you want to make pizzas, then the Akorn would be a good choice.
Of course you can always just buy that pizza conversion kit for a Kettle cooker as well, or build one yourself if you were so inclined.

Also I'd just like to say you shouldn't feel the need to apologize. People might ask this question a lot, but it's rarely for the exact same reasons.
Every situation is different. PLUS you're asking a bunch of people on the internet for an opinion. That's a DREAM COME TRUE!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Fatmike
On the road to being a farker

Weber def....my Akorn leaks terrible and needs a bunch of mods to get it to low and slow.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

It's not for everyone (you have to bend over), but if you turn your WSM coal grate and ring into a true basket, then attach four large eye bolts to the coal grate to be able to grab and shake the ash off with, you can then set a grill grate across the top of those eye bolts and be cooking right above the coals. I did this to my WSM 22.5" and then use my gasser for just high heat grilling like chicken.

We did some Korean ribs on ours and got a great grill cook with a nice sear.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

You sold your silver? Shame on you lol only kidding. You can guess what I am going to say get the performer weber is the best. I love kettle grills.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Fwismoker

Mini WSM hands down and there isn't a close second place. I smoke, grill and sear most of my meals on it.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my performer for a few reasons. Oak grilled steaks. Anything smoked that I want to do a high heat sear on after(like the wings I smoked today for an hour indirect, then spread out the coals and crisped them up). Honestly I have not used it for "smaller" smokes because I have the WSM and it is a workhorse for quality bbq. My performer has the gas assist and I use that to start the charcoal for my smokers all the time. All around great grill.