• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Well, I have a brand new......

BBQ4FUN

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
one of these....

IMG_0076.jpg

I went against my will and bought some JD sausage. (I own my own locker and make it myself) But forgot to bring some home.

IMG_0097.jpg

I'm really excited to fire up the 22 WSM, but is it worth it for just 3 fattys?

I have had my large WSM now for about a year and a half. I would say that a few fattys would be an excellent way to break it in - because you will need to cook with it a few times before it 'settles in' and starts flying straight and level.

Now that I've cooked on mine about a hundred times, I absolutely love it!

Don't be shy about loading up the fire ring with plenty of unlit fuel - and start only about 6 to 8 briquettes to place on top of the pile to start it.

I keep two of the air intakes completely closed and open one just a tiny crack - about the width of a dime - and that has it running about 250F But that didn't start happening until after about five cooks - so be ready for high temps. That being said, come to think about it, I'd say that fattys are the perfect food to cook on it! :)

Congrats on the new cooker!

That's what I was thinking. I really wanted to watch the NASCAR race but it looks like it might be rained out. Chicago isn't far from me and it's raining here. Not looking so good. I think I just might fire it up here in an hour or 2.

You deffinetly are on the right path post finished pics please

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Run back to the store and get a bag of chicken quartets, nice and greasy will season up that baby nicely

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

Nice lookin cooker, and I second the chicken quarters suggestion. Hot and fast, then toss on a fatty or some moinks.

Well everything cooked way faster than I thought it would. Put the Fattys on at 1:20 along with some frozen chicken breasts. Plowboy's YB on the fattys. Nothing on the chicken breasts (wrong move) they were quite dry.

Put about a half a ring of KB with 4 chunks of apple wood.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

I did use water on my first try on the WSM.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Took about 30-45 min to come up to temp.

IMG_0105.jpg

Dog chilling....

IMG_0106.jpg

Done in 2 hr 20 min give or take.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Awesome smoke ring on the fattys.

IMG_0109.jpg

And my supper....

IMG_0110.jpg

I did have to mess with the vents on the bottom a bit. After about an hour of adjusting it settled pretty good at 260 or so. From what I read on the virtual bullet site the dome thermo is around 10-15* hotter than the cooking grate. I didn't use any electronics on this cook either. All in all it was a fun cook. Can't wait to get some butts on this bad boy.

Thanks for looking.

The lid therm on mine runs about 20 degrees cooler than the grate, I also have 2 more Weber sent as replacements, 1 stops climbing at 230 and the other about 260. Some may think differently of this,but make a smaller ring from expanded metal for the cooks that don't fill the 22 to capacity. This will help keep the charcoal from speading out all over the grate which will make it burn hotter and faster.

Back