MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #16
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I enjoy Tylers in Amarillo. Not the best bbq in Texas, but its great bbq made by fantastic people.

As for the Big Texan, its a tourist trap with decent steak, but I think it's worth a visit for the experience.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

The Big Texan is an institution. I read about them in National Geographic in the 70s. Always dreamed of going there. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but what's wrong with tourist traps? I love tourist traps. It is Americana!

Anyway, there are so many routes you can go. If you head directly north out of Phoenix, one of my favorites is another tourist trap in Flagstaff called Black Bart's. The food is good, but the entertainment is some of the best. The waitstaff are primarily drama students at NAU and they perform song and dance routines during the meal. Nothing like having your waitress drop off your food and hop on stage to sing. Kitschy, maybe, but definitely a LOT of fun. If you're taking I10 east, then be sure to stop and see The Thing at Texas Canyon near Bisbee, Arizona. Another wonderful tourist trap. If you stay in Las Cruces, be sure to eat at the Double Eagle in Mesilla to get a feel for a luxurious old west restaurant. Sunday brunch is fabulous.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #18
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
The Big Texan is an institution. I read about them in National Geographic in the 70s. Always dreamed of going there. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but what's wrong with tourist traps? I love tourist traps. It is Americana!

Anyway, there are so many routes you can go. If you head directly north out of Phoenix, one of my favorites is another tourist trap in Flagstaff called Black Bart's. The food is good, but the entertainment is some of the best. The waitstaff are primarily drama students at NAU and they perform song and dance routines during the meal. Nothing like having your waitress drop off your food and hop on stage to sing. Kitschy, maybe, but definitely a LOT of fun. If you're taking I10 east, then be sure to stop and see The Thing at Texas Canyon near Bisbee, Arizona. Another wonderful tourist trap. If you stay in Las Cruces, be sure to eat at the Double Eagle in Mesilla to get a feel for a luxurious old west restaurant. Sunday brunch is fabulous.

This is great! thanks a ton!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #19
FrkYrPrk
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

If you're traveling I-40, I suggest two NM food restaurants in ABQ:
Monica's El Portal on Rio Grande (the sopapilla's taste like donuts) or Azul's on 12th & Mountain (Carne Adovada, get the queso bowl).

I-10 route requires a side trip to either Iron Door BBQ in Silver City, or Sparky's in Hatch (Former state champ for green chile cheeseburger). Both are closed early in the week, may not fit your schedule
Old 05-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #20
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

IH40 as you cross into Texas Exit 36 at Vega. In the NW corner sits an Allsups gas station convenience store. Ask the clerk if the burritos are fresh, gauge her/his response and if fresh grab a sack of Allsups Famous gas station burritos. Grab a bottle of their hot sauce both red and green. As well hit those burritos with mustard packets they provide. Take a selfie in front of the Allsups ad sign showing the five or six kinds of “burritos”. I go straight beef and bean, sometimes Hatch Green Chile which is Like thick green chile stew inside a fried burrito. Awesome. But that beef and bean has been in my life since 10 years old. Chimichanga is not the same as Beef & Bean burrito.. We’ve never had an issue with burritos

Amarillo- I would skip bbq and go to Coyote Bluff. South of IH40 on Grand. Burger from Hell (sounds way worse than it is) plate of green chile cheese fries and an appetizer of a cup of green chile stew.

Mexican food/ two chances to hit El Tejavan. IH40 and Paramount and IH40 and Grand. Both on north side of interstate. Order a side order of corn tortillas. They’re different than what comes with the meal. Excellent

Barbecue - I’ve tried the high rated and I don’t return much. Dyers BBQ at IH40 and Georgia is worth the stop for the onion rings. Seriously famous onion rings.

Whenever I have someone call passing through and inquires about bbq I recommend Rudys at IH40 and Western. 1/2 pound moist 1/2 pound lean brisket, sausage links half a loaf of bread included, onion pickle peppers open veggies bar, make a grand stacked sandwich and a giant Rice Krispy bar for dessert. Rudy’s also has a green chile stew made from their smoked pork that is probably the best I’ve ever tasted. It’s hot, too hot for wife, but we often buy a pint and use it as a starter for a larger pot.

Last edited by 16Adams; 05-17-2021 at 08:04 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #21
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric

I didn’t see a KC Recommendation, but you should stop there. Id go to Joes- the gas station original is great but the food in Olathe is the same and across the parking lot is the Kansas City BBQ Store, which is awesome.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #22
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Welcome to Chicago, the Birthplace of Everything

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #23
Jorge

In OKC Clark Crew

A little north of OKC Fri-Sun Butcher BBQ Stand (in Wellston)

Closer to Tulsa stop in Sperry at Buffalo’s BBQ

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #24
LYU370

Moving TO Chicago? Bet he got some REALLY good rates on a one way truck rental. Prices going the other way are a lot more expensive.

Going through OK all near the Interstate. El Reno for OK Onion Burgers (Johnnie's Grill, Robert's Grill, Sid's Diner). OKC, Cattleman's Steakhouse. Wellston, The Butcher BBQ Stand (Fri-Sun). Tulsa, haven't tried them personally, but have heard Burn Co BBQ is pretty good. Outside Springfield MO in Ozark is Lambert's Café, home of the "throwed rolls". Not sure why, but I have Jones Bar-B-Q in KC, KS starred in my Google Maps.

Once you make it to Chicago, hit up Hecky's in Evanston for some rib tips (close to Northwestern). Bunch of other good Que joints in Chicago.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #25
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknabnoj View Post
A big ol' sloppy Chicago Beef is definitely on my list!! Thanks for the recommendations!
For a beef, Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood Park or Al's #1 on Taylor street in Chicago. Some people say the original location on Taylor is better than the others.

If you want to try some Deep Dish pizza, head downtown to Pizzeria Uno. If it's packed, head down the street to Pizzeria Due (same owners). Stop and see The Bean in Millenium Park while you're down there. Or Lou Malnati's, lots of locations, also a few downtown. Most people think everyone in Chicago eats deep dish, we don't, we eat a tavern style thin crust cut in squares.

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
Old 05-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #26
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Can't recommend any BBQ in these places, but once you are to Chicago, hit a Portillo's for Chicago dogs and Italian Beef. Ambrosia.
Portillo's is a pretty good representation of Chicago Dogs & Beef. Started as a small place on the south side of the city I think, back in the 60's.

For some local hot dog places, try some of the following that have been around for ages, but please don't say "drag it through the garden", they'll know you're from out of town.

Mustard's Last Stand, right next to Dykes Stadium but it's been renamed, sorry don't know the new name of the stadium. I used to work right next door back in the mid 80's, we used to go there all the time. Poochie's on Dempster in Skokie, Fluky's on Touhy in Niles, Wolfy's on Peterson in Chicago.

Bit further from Northwestern, ya gotta try Super Dawg Drive In, as they say, it's not a hot dog, it's a Super Dawg. Two locations, both on Milwaukee Ave. One in Chicago and a new one in Wheeling, right next to Bob Chin's Crab House which is SO GOOD!!! Fresh seafood flown in daily, garlic rolls are insane, will keep all vampires away.

And on the way back to ORD for your flight back, leave early and stop at Gene & Jude's in River Grove for an original Chicago Depression Dog. Be advised, there are no seats inside, you eat in your car and no ketchup on the premises.

Enjoy your trip & post some updates along the way!