How Long Does a 20lb Fully Frozen Brisket Take to Smoke?? (Let's Find Out......)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
With no plans to cook this weekend and thinking I now want to cook a brisket tomorrow. All the ones I have are frozen so just going to put that sucker on a Hunsaker. I've done a fully frozen corned beef before and it turned out awesome, but I feel there is more buffer with corned beef :twitch:.

Definitely not the first to give this a whirl and think it will turn out great. Done frozen butts before a few times. Since it will be so nice tomorrow need to cook something. Not sure when I will start it. Could be morning when I get up and let it rest for a "crazy long time" since that is all the craze these days or start it later around 10am and shorter rest.

Anyways, just planned this about 15mins ago so here is all I have.......

Cold ass brisket
Do1q6dMl.jpg

X66jJk1l.jpg

Crappy beer night
W8yM4NGl.jpg

And had to make sure it would fit on the Hunsaker drum frozen so tossed that sucker in there to confirm......:becky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpUbpY7XY14

Heck I might leave it in the cryo and give it the trendy 62/70 salt/crazy corse black pepper (like whole peppercorns) on the outside of that to see if the steaming aids as the seasoning is oooooo....sooooo close, but yet so far away :clap2::clap2:

Where's my canoe?!?! :fish2::fish2:

Last edited:
I'm getting popcorn. And also a Beer Alchemist Heady Topper:-D My cousin is a Vermont State crunchie, but he consistently hooks me up with the best IPA in America, so he always gets an invite when I'm cooking something good!

I've never attempted a frozen brisket cook but I've always wondered!

So it's already done. Took 1hr 22mins
GurCBAnl.jpg

Ok so maybe this was leftover brisket I also pulled out of the freezer earlier for some nachos tonight......:-D
Hw76XY7l.jpg

lMkQHYDl.jpg

Onions and cilantro and that little bite of cold brisket with the toppings and some extra salt is better than straight up brisket for me
KU9yPzAl.jpg

SIJvarWl.jpg

Store cheese dip that we added extra jalapenos to and chucked it all on some scoops
5qU8zVOl.jpg

kBKYeswl.jpg

P2LSeLAl.jpg

n4ww9D2l.jpg

So my plan is get up and probably to start cooking around 3 or 4am since that is when my dumb body typically wakes up on the weekends :becky:. Smoke for 3-5hrs and then wrap/pan/tell it how it will never achieve anything in life........and then finish.

Get it done at 10-11am and then a full 38.5hr rest in beach towels in a cooler that's in a cambro that's in an oven I rigged to run 150 because 170 is the lowest factory setting that's in a dead Tauntaun that's all been vac sealed and into a Sous Vide swimming pool.

Ok.........sorry........just kidding........I don't actually have any clean beach towels.....so I'll be leaving that out.........

You sold the D-canoe?!? I am pretty sure this will be the best brisket you have ever cooked. Did you pour a jar of mayonnaise and mustard on it?

Get it done at 10-11am and then a full 38.5hr rest in beach towels in a cooler that's in a cambro that's in an oven I rigged to run 150 because 170 is the lowest factory setting that's in a dead Tauntaun that's all been vac sealed and into a Sous Vide swimming pool.

Ok.........sorry........just kidding........I don't actually have any clean beach towels.....so I'll be leaving that out.........

Are you sure that beer is only 7.5 ABV ?? :twitch:

So woke up at 3, couldn't go back to sleep so was perfect time to get things ready :-D

Waking up the brisket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLIEYhbvn1Y

Peeling the frozen cryo
vJgGCeMl.jpg

Slather and rub
seZxiwel.jpg

ihYc0eyl.jpg

Rubbed up
FC64GHIl.jpg

TbHErSOl.jpg

ZZ1lqmBl.jpg

zeSBLCwl.jpg

HaHaC9Ql.jpg

Brisket probing. Tried to break the thermapen :becky:
Cv9zaqjl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFwn3l6VJ0

And on. Went on right at 4am. Temp maintaining currently at 350
TJydfsEl.jpg

c0Tg5zMl.jpg

dmyhAZ1l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUg6wvx5e4E

So we'll see how this goes. Will let it ride in the 300/whatever range and check ever hour to see how it looks. Maybe it will be done before everyone else wakes up :shock:

2hrs in, 43 degrees in the flat and probe goes all the way in. Point colder of course because it is thicker, but really here is why a fully frozen brisket actually doesn't take much longer than a thawed one. After 2hrs it is around the point of where a brisket would come out of the fridge. So from here maybe another 5-6hrs'ish
DHHsZ55l.jpg

Back