MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #16
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklich View Post
Do any of you guys hang butts at all on the PBC or do you use the grate for the complete cook?
I hung four of them with the intent of finishing two in the oven but that was just so I could do 4 at once .
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I have cooked brisket the whole time hanging but I don't think it would work with pork butt.
Pharp - I'd like to pick your brain a little more on the hanging brisket cook.

The PBC guy claims to be able to cook a 16 lb brisket to an internal temp of 200F in only six hours. Obviously the PBC cooks hotter than a typical smoker, and he is wrapping it when it gets to the stall point. Wrapping will speed up cooking due to lack of evaporation, and will also keep the brisket moist despite the high temp. But the wrapped briskets I've eaten, while still pretty darn good, just weren't what I'm after. A wrapped brisket is basically a smoked pot roast.

So my questions regarding your unwrapped, hanging brisket in the PBC:
1) What final temp did you achieve?
2) How long did it take?
3) And most importantly, was it moist and tender with fantastic bark on the outside?

Thanks much for your help.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #18
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Try wrapping in butchers paper instead of foil. Also if you do use foil don't add beef broth or any liquid to the foil before you wrap. That's what changes it from brisket to pot roast.

Also. Do a search in the bar at the bottom of the page for Bludawgs KISS method.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Pharp - I'd like to pick your brain a little more on the hanging brisket cook.

The PBC guy claims to be able to cook a 16 lb brisket to an internal temp of 200F in only six hours. Obviously the PBC cooks hotter than a typical smoker, and he is wrapping it when it gets to the stall point. Wrapping will speed up cooking due to lack of evaporation, and will also keep the brisket moist despite the high temp. But the wrapped briskets I've eaten, while still pretty darn good, just weren't what I'm after. A wrapped brisket is basically a smoked pot roast.

So my questions regarding your unwrapped, hanging brisket in the PBC:
1) What final temp did you achieve?
2) How long did it take?
3) And most importantly, was it moist and tender with fantastic bark on the outside?

Thanks much for your help.
Howdy. I don't want to come off as too much of an expert, I normally wrap. I have on a few occasions just let it go the whole time unwrapped. I have modified my PBC with a top damper and I use a digital thermometer. I cook at 300. A normal brisket cook for me is usually around 5 hours (2.5 hours unwrapped, 2.5 wrapped). When I didn't wrap them I think it took around 7 hours (usually have an initial weight of 12-14 with a pretty aggressive trim) and I cook the point and the flat separately with the point getting an extra hour.
I don't really ever look at the temp too closely but usually mine are done between 206-212. I remember the unwrapped ones finished at a slightly lower temp (since they had a longer total cook time). I would say 205 ish would be in the ball park.

I was pleased with the result, but 75% of the time I cook brisket I am practicing for a comp so I wrap and trim more than you normally would.

I think it is definitely worth a shot for you to try!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #20
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the quick reply, guys.

Trying to find the one perfect smoker is tough. I'm pretty much backyard only, so I can't really justify owning multiple smokers. Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #21
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, guys.

Trying to find the one perfect smoker is tough. I'm pretty much backyard only, so I can't really justify owning multiple smokers. Decisions, decisions...
I don't think for ease of use, price, and food quality you can beat the PBC. They are great cookers and you can crank out some AMAZING food. If you order one get the turkey hanger so you can be a rock star this thanksgiving.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #22
jklich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Try wrapping in butchers paper instead of foil. Also if you do use foil don't add beef broth or any liquid to the foil before you wrap. That's what changes it from brisket to pot roast.

Also. Do a search in the bar at the bottom of the page for Bludawgs KISS method.
How do you modify the KISS method to cook on a PBC?
jklich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #23
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I hang the brisket for the first few hours...until it reaches 160ish. Then foil or wrap in butcher paper and put it on the grate.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #24
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I don't think for ease of use, price, and food quality you can beat the PBC. They are great cookers and you can crank out some AMAZING food. If you order one get the turkey hanger so you can be a rock star this thanksgiving.
Thanks, Pharp. Speaking of multiple smokers, I could get two PBCs for less than the cost of a Hunsaker...

Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #25
NY Pork Junkie
On the road to being a farker

Interesting question. I did a cook of 4 little Boston butts on the PBC last Saturday and I thought about how I could get away with hanging them for the whole cook.

I'm going to try a 304 stainless steel collapsible fry basket from Amazon and try hanging my shoulders in that. They cost $5.00 to $10.00 on Amazon, although I'm sure you could buy a 10 pack of them from a chinese restaurant supply store for $20.00. Here is the link to the one I'm looking at because it's free 2 day shipping on Prime, but it's a generic item, and there are literally a dozen brands with what appears to be an identical product just on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fol...NFNDQJHWJ947ZN

Seems like it could be a good hanging solution so pork butts are truly set it and forget it on the PBC. No more pulling, wrapping, and racking!

Last edited by NY Pork Junkie; 10-09-2017 at 10:52 AM..
NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #26
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

NY Pork Junkie please let us know how this turns out
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #27
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, I'm also very interested to see how it turns out, NY Pork Junkie.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
NY Pork Junkie
On the road to being a farker

The stainless basket is 9" in diameter, so I brought some 9" plates out to the PBC to see how they would fit. You can see from the pic that they would take up quite a bit of real estate. I'm still curious to try it since I generally only do 1 pork shoulder at a time, but the size of the basket would indeed make it impossible to do more than 2 in this way. Still, at only $10.00, it's cheaper than buying a split grate, which is the only other way I can think of to do a cook with pork shoulder (which needs a grate) and ribs (which doesn't).

I think I might have another idea of how to hang my butts. See the picture below. I took a 4' piece of 1/8" stainless steel cable, and formed it into a loop. Then for some reason I thought it would be interesting to put a ferrule in the middle to make it a double loop (I'm pretty sure it's unnecessary and possible counterproductive). The wire is a stainless 1/8" 7/7 (seven strands of 7 wires each). It's good for a 1960 lb load, which is probably sufficient for most pork butts I cook, even with a over-engineering fudge factor applied :).

You basically just put the butt on top of the cable, then pass one loop through the other hang off of that. One of the nice features of doing it this way is that it's basically a noose, that self cinches, so that when the pork butt cooks down and shrinks, the cable just tightens up around it. Here is a pic of a 6lb test duck to see how it works. Here's a picture of it of the duck hanging in the PBC. I think it's 10x more secure than hooks, and the surface area of the cable is so large there is no way it's going to sink through the bark.

Another intriguing possibility would be to daisy-chain 2 together so that you could hang 2 pork butts per chain, one below the other. That could let me cook 8 pork butts at a time, or some absurd variation of 4 butts, and 4 racks of ribs (not something I foresee doing however!)

I think it'll work great! Now I've got to figure out what to do with the other 100' of cable. I probably don't need 25 butt slings...

NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #29
PNWSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Good solution Pork Junkie. Heck if you were really worried you could throw some butcher's string around it too.
PNWSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

yes, you can hang all the meats for a full cook in a pbc. Only brisket would be my worry. I have done it with great results.