MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)
Default Is this a good mexican rice recipe

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/29729/mexican-rice.aspx

Whats your thoughts or recipe
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
gtr

It's probably not a bad recipe - never tried it. Looks like it hits the basic principles as I understand them. I'm far from an expert, but I've had great luck with Rick Bayless' recipes and I think I've made this one - can't remember.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/mexican-red-rice/

The technique of sauteeing the rice in the oil before adding the water in the allrecipes recipe is more like what a Mexican woman taught me once though.

If you have some kind of stock or broth to use instead of water, I'd definitely do that. Or maybe throw in a buillon cube.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
Titch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
It's probably not a bad recipe - never tried it. Looks like it hits the basic principles as I understand them. I'm far from an expert, but I've had great luck with Rick Bayless' recipes and I think I've made this one - can't remember.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/mexican-red-rice/

The technique of sauteeing the rice in the oil before adding the water in the allrecipes recipe is more like what a Mexican woman taught me once though.

If you have some kind of stock or broth to use instead of water, I'd definitely do that. Or maybe throw in a buillon cube.
Thanks mate

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

It looks like a good recipe. Here is mine if interested. More of a tex-mex rice, but similar to the link I'm sure.

Saute a couple cloves of garlic, and about half an onion. Stir in 2-3 tsp of seasoning. I use a tex mex rub I make, but cumin, chili powder, and coriander or something similar would work. Stir the seasoning into the onion and garlic for about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup long grain rice and a tsp of salt. Stir the rice to coat with the fat and seasoning. Cook over medium low stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cup chicken broth, and stir. Bring to simmer. Stir. Cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Take off heat, and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid, and add a handful of cilantro and a few squeezes of lime. Fluff with a fork, and taste for seasoning.

This has been a hit with many people. Whatever recipe you use, and I would add a squeeze of lime at the end after cooking. It adds so much to the end result.

This is the only picture I can find of my rice at the moment.
[IMG][/IMG]
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
gtr

^^^that sounds fantastic!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
Titch

Looks and sounds fantastic, ta muchly

Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
LYU370

Three things I've learned over the years. Saute the rice in oil or butter before adding water. Make sure you add salt and any other seasonings at the start, seasoning after the fact doesn't work. And make sure to let it steam for 8-10 minutes after it's done.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Are you specifically looking for mexican rice , or are you ok with trying a Puerto Rican flavor? If you want some bold rice with flavor i suggest Arroz Con Gandules. I like to use SPAM instead of ham for my recipe.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

The key to great Mexican rice (in my experience) is to rinse the rice under running cold water for 5-10 minutes...This reduces all the starches and makes a dry fluffy rice like what you get in the best Mex restaurants...After that follow what ever recipe you like best.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #10
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
The key to great Mexican rice (in my experience) is to rinse the rice under running cold water for 5-10 minutes...This reduces all the starches and makes a dry fluffy rice like what you get in the best Mex restaurants...After that follow what ever recipe you like best.

For fluffy rice, use a parboiled rice. Amazing results.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #11
Titch

Thanks each and every one of you, keep it coming, We do a Philippine rice (Jasmine) taught to my wife by my Stepmother, awesome stuff.
Indonesian Rice, Similiar but carries more Heat.
I was reading a post by Sako who made a Mexican rice, was just curious to try it.

Last edited by Titch; 05-31-2020 at 01:55 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
gtr

I finally started rinsing my rice recently. My kid son working at an Asian restaurant and got me into it. Big difference!
WTFWGALD?

Old 05-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #13
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Rinse your rice. Toast it with some oil. Add onion, garlic, and some Caldo de Tomate to it. I prefer medium grain Cal-Rose type rice (but that's my preference).

There are a bunch of ways to do it. In my wife's family, everyone makes the rice differently. Some use Caldo de tomate...some use a little tomato sauce (with a bullion cube added)...others use petite diced tomatoes with chicken stock. Mother-in-law uses long grain white rice...Her mom uses Cal-Rose medium grain.

You can make them all taste pretty darn similar. My wife doesn't measure anything when making it and miraculously it comes out perfect every time.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 AM   #14
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Rinsing is the trick I have always read. I just bought a sieve to be able to do it easier-didn't like messing with cheesecloth.

The last time, it really stuck to the pan, even with the oil. I wonder if I didn't have enough fat in there? Or maybe it wasn't dry enough..
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote