MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Honestjbone
Got Wood.

Default BBQ Guru DigiQ problems on WSM

Sooooooo I bought this like 2 weeks ago, and it seems that the grate temp and food temp are really off balanced. I WAS using my maverick and it was accurate for me.

For example if dome red 225 grate was a solid 250-255ish. The digiQ on the other hand stokes the fire along at 250 and dome reads 180....not cool. I know my smoker pretty confidently because my briskets got done on time using the maverick.

Now time is taking wayyyyy longer than expected. Like....guests are awaiting for food tapping their knees long...luckily only family and friends but still. Oh and food temp is unreliable. 200 on a brisket, maverick is 212, regular temp is like 194-195.

I LIKE MY DIGIQ...for $300 u bet your butt I'm gonna like it, ANYBODY encounter the same problems?????

Recalibrating work??????
Honestjbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Desert Hawg
Full Fledged Farker

I have never had a problem with mine. Did you check the calibration prior to use?

Old 11-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawg View Post
I have never had a problem with mine. Did you check the calibration prior to use?
same here...I've used a Guru DigiQ on Spicewine, WSM's and BGE's and it was rock solid over 5 years and still going ...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Honestjbone
Got Wood.

I did NOT check calibration before hand. I assumed it would already be tooken care of....but hey if it has to be done then so be it. Cause I can have a dome temp at 250 and it'll read 294-300

Like wait a minute here
Honestjbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

The dome thermometer on my WSMs generally reads a lot lower then the temperature at the top grate. If I set my CyberQ WiFi to cook at a grate temperature of 250F, the dome thermometer generally will read between 200F-225F.

Here is a thermometer mod I did a while ago with some temperature readings I did in different places in my WSMs.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07#post2299407
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

My temps level out into a long cook. I'd definitely follow the digiq temps. Especially after a boil test to verify its calibrated.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

A couple more things to look at is sometimes you don't get the probe plugged all the way into the controller, and it gives a bad connection and a bad temperature reading. Also if you put the probe too close to the food, it can make the probe read lower. Lastly, if it is the standard dome thermometer, I wouldn't trust it, they can go bad at any time, if it ever worked in the beginning you should feel lucky. But you did say your cooks are taking longer.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

My dome thermometers were so far off from guru grate temps that I removed the thermometers and installed another dome vent instead to help with hot and fast cooking. It will eventually during the cook get closer to the grate temp but I want to know the temp where I am cooking, not in the dome or anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
My temps level out into a long cook. I'd definitely follow the digiq temps. Especially after a boil test to verify its calibrated.
^ +1 I agree with "NeilH" Trust the Digi-Q.......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

trust the digi que and use the dome as a reference only and make mental note of varience between dome and grate temp where you cook your food at

Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
smokeacholic
Full Fledged Farker

Place both sensors or thermometers together and check the difference. I did that and my Guru and temp gauge read the same although the temps were different by a lot in separate areas. Trust the Digi Q.

Tags
bbq guru, DigiQ, WSM