Simply marvelous head to head: cherry vs sweet seduction

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've used these two rubs in conjunction with one another for ribs a few times but never separate. Today's cook was to discern the difference between the 2.

I lightly slathered each half rack with molasses and seasoned each respective portion and then let the racks sweet until the rub was disolved.

Q'ed on the offset with a combo of oak and cherry wood.

I wrapped with a little bit of bone sucking sauce near the end of the cook. A rain storm caused a fire management issue and i got more color than id like but id claim this a good cook. Both halves were tender the cherry rubbed ended slightly over as it was the smaller piece.

Cherry: i was most curious to see how much discernable cherry flavor came through. I asked becky what it tasted like and in a blind test she said cherry. I tasted the cherry too.

Sweet seduction: this rub is more fine than cherry. It seems to go further when seasoning too. It has peach in it and while she didn't guess the flavor blind she claimed to taste some peach after the second bite.

Head to head i would say sweet seduction was the winner. Both were sweet and could use some savory. Mixing may be a good option but im thinking sweet seduction for the cook and cherry as a finishing rub/powder. Steph does recommend the season all ap rub as a base coat.....im gonna have to try that next....back to the lab again.

I have been wanting to try the AP but I have the cherry and pecan and love both I have been using in combination

I'm more of a cherry fan but would never turn down anything in the simply marvelous lineup, I like a light dusting of seasonal all as the base.

Ninja - I am a great believer in cosmetics of the end product. How much do you think, if any, of the color you got was due to the molasses? Mac

Nice reportage! I always have all of the SM stuff around. I use 'em along with the SM season all and really like the results.

Nice - I am a fan of SM Cherry and SS.
Today I have pork belly cubes going on the cooker. 1/2 will be SM Sweet Seduction, the other 1/2 will be SM Sweet and Spicy.

Last edited:
Looks great thanks for sharing the results.

I like sweet seduction the best and cherry next also. Thanks for the write up Steve!

Ninja - I am a great believer in cosmetics of the end product. How much do you think, if any, of the color you got was due to the molasses? Mac

Im still playing wth it but i think it helps with color and imparts a sweet taste thats mild in the end. Its a nice brown color. I've tested different slathers and some help with color....which can add too much. I try to add slather that improves flavor. Molasses, worchester, hot sauce, mayo. I dont use mustard, doesnt bring enough to the table

Reminds me, I need to get more Season All...

Also need to get off my arse and get some packages out!!!!:doh:

Im still playing wth it but i think it helps with color and imparts a sweet taste thats mild in the end. Its a nice brown color. I've tested different slathers and some help with color....which can add too much. I try to add slather that improves flavor. Molasses, worchester, hot sauce, mayo. I dont use mustard, doesnt bring enough to the table

I've wondered how black strap molasses would work as a slather...???

This, right here, is why I am addicted to this forum. I have learned more in the few months I have visited here than I have learned in my whole 60 year life. Kudos to all of you!!!!

Back