I stopped at a local chain bbq joint

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Billy Sims Bbq. They have several locations in the area. We were out to lunch at work and it was suggested. I didn't want to be the complainer so i complied. 12:30pm on a Saturday and the lobby was desolate. No patrons no crew. For a solid minute our group stood there contemplating our fate. When we were finally greated the party stood frozen, one man waiting on the next... i broke the silence with a half rack of ribs and 2 sides.

I would use disappointing but i already knew before the first bite. Leathery bark and bitter smoke. Ive tasted the likes before...the time i relit a roach backward in my mouth. I ate most of the rack, it was a chore. The sides were good. The whole time i felt i was cheating onthe woodpile.

I battled a major case of smoke burps the rest of the day. I just had to wash the taste out of my mouth. Proper ribs were in order.

Slathered in hot sauce and seasoned with sweet seduction and mixed up pepper

Kettle set up. Ring method mixed with cherry wood

Water was used to regulate temps. I have forsaken technology. Rub was allowed to sweat for 2 hrs

Cooked naked til tender, no sauce. About 3.5 hrs

Should get the taste out of my mouth

Those should make you forget the recent travesty. Nicely done.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Years ago, I stopped in a a drug store after visiting my father-in law in the hospital where he was after having a heart attack. Billy Sims was there and I mentioned my FIL was a fan. He ended up paying him a visit.

You can't cheat the woodpile! :crazy:

You just have to repent, cook something righteous, and clean the PB! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Those ribs look righteous! :clap2:

I know the feeling.

A couple months ago I was in Dothan. Al. I stopped at a place that is supposed to be "best BBQ in Dothan". If that is their best, I guess I'm glad I didn't go to one of the other places. :sad:

Now, them ribs - they look like good eats

The taste of lighting a roach backwards..... Thanks Never wanted to think about that again!! haha Looks like your off to a good start. I honestly have low expectations for other people BBQ now. I feel I've handled cooking BBQ well lately and when I go somewhere to eat out its just not the same.

It's difficult for BBQ chains to make good backyard BBQ.

I’m sure it’s because you’re basically eating leftovers, right? And their process is structured and dumb down so it can be repeated so it does not make the best Q...

The best chain that I’ve had so far is the Salt Lick... I go to the Round Rock location because there’s hardly any wait.

Glad you were able to get some proper bbq done.

It's rare that I eat bbq from a restaurant.

Locally, the best joint around closed several years ago and left us stranded. It was the driving force for me to learn how to do it myself.

The funny thing to me was "the best local bbq joint" was a chain. Famous Dave's.

https://www.famousdaves.com/home

Their pulled pork, ribs, corn muffins and corn were mighty good.

The funny thing to me was "the best local bbq joint" was a chain. Famous Dave's.

https://www.famousdaves.com/home

Their pulled pork, ribs, corn muffins and corn were mighty good.

Famous Dave’s introduced me to rib tips before they got tangled in some legal turf war battle and had to leave most of their locations in Texas. I liked them and it was a giant step above Dickey’s, my first bbq experience.

Those ribs look very tasty and have a splendid bark.

My kettle ribs are more "barky" than off the stick burner. Ive forgone any tech use a waterpan to govern down the temp some and let them ride for 3.5 hrs.

Years ago, I stopped in a a drug store after visiting my father-in law in the hospital where he was after having a heart attack. Billy Sims was there and I mentioned my FIL was a fan. He ended up paying him a visit.

Im sure he is a fine person. This location could have been an anamoly, i doubt it.

You can't cheat the woodpile! :crazy:

You just have to repent, cook something righteous, and clean the PB! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Those ribs look righteous! :clap2:

Well by woodpile i am refering to our local bbq shack. Its ran by a brethren and the Q is consistently good. Now that you mention it though the hot tube is in need of cleaning :bolt:

Seriously we have some good bbq places in the area. Some are more like restaurants with expensive buildings and gawdy drink programs. They are great for taking nonbbq friends out for a good time. Not everyone is into eatinng off of butcher paper and things being sold out. Woodpile is a shack, it feels the way a bbq place should and your likely to catch the pit boss there after his shift, besides the sausage is like a drug.....i know what im hsving for lunch today

Famous Dave’s introduced me to rib tips before they got tangled in some legal turf war battle and had to leave most of their locations in Texas. I liked them and it was a giant step above Dickey’s, my first bbq experience.

I've been in dickeys parking lot seversl times but chickened out every time. Ive heard good things about famous daves but it seems to be based on location.

I knew this was gonna be bad by the lack of people on a saturday. The taste of the smoke was heavy and bitter. There's another place i tried a few miles from here. Everybody raved about victory inn but i knew the moment i stepped into the makeshift smokehouse. Still ordered. I cant help myself im a bbq guy

Back