Jerky cure question

Garyclaw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've searched our archives of the Brethren and I'm still a little confused. I'm using my dehydrator (Lem) and l want to use a teriyaki Marinade. I'll be using Tenderquick for the cure. Do I cure the beef first then marinate? Or do I add the cure to the Marinade?

BTW... there are some great recipes from our Brethren in our search forum :clap2:.

You can add the tenderquick to the marinade but remember that it contains salt. Not sure of your recipe but I wouldn't add any more salt to the marinade.

Yep, spot on. If you use pink salt/cure #1 add salt as usual. If you use TenderQuick, cut down on any additional salt by the amount of TQ you added.

Thanks Jeanie. The teriyaki has some salt in it but I won't add anymore. Should I rinse before dehydration or would that negate the Marinade?

Thanks Jeanie. The teriyaki has some salt in it but I won't add anymore. Should I rinse before dehydration or would that negate the Marinade?

I don't rinse jerky but I drain it well. The dryer the better for quick dehydration.
Good luck with it Gary, I'm sure it's going to be fantastic!

Thanks again Jeanie. You have put me at ease in my quest. I'll let you know.

I brine my jerky overnight first, then rinse, and soak in marinade for 2-6 hours (maybe more). No salt in the marinade, just a good teriyaki, some brown sugar, a little sesame oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and peppers of choice if looking for a little kick

Then I string it up add a liberal dose of course black pepper and smoke it in my smoke house.

I've only used a dehydrator for peppers.

I am sure the advice above is solid, I just do it a little different

I need to do a batch before long and will post it up.

Thanks Dawg. When I was researching jerky l read many of your posts. Your recipe sounds good.

Back