Talk me out of buying a fireboard...

NY Pork Junkie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I gave my trusty Maverick 732 to my Dad a little while back for him to play with. I've been cooking with just an instant read for the last 2 weeks and I definitely miss having a probe. My BBQ has suffered.

I was just going to buy a new Maverick 732, but then I made the mistake of going to amazingribs.com to read about all the latest gadgets. Now I'm looking at the fireboard for $189. Having the ability to monitor multiple items would be really nice when doing big cooks with lots of differently sized items. I also really like the ability to graph the data for the full cook, as well as download the data to see how different fire management approaches are affecting the cook. It's an awful lot of money though.

Anybody have one? How have they performed? What issues have you had? If you had to do it over again, what would you buy?

That said, you have now made me want one when I looked them up.

Do I need one? Nooooo. Christmas is nigh....

The only sure way to rid oneself of a temptation is yield to it.

You guys are terrible...:icon_smile_tongue:

Hanging out in this forum sure does get expensive, but my BBQ was improved by leaps and bounds. Good tradeoff. :-D

All I can add is to make sure you will actually use the features. I bought a heater meter with a roto damper. Used the fan a few times, never graphed, never used from the office, all those probes were a pain and I had extension cords in the way. I use the Maverick more than anything. The HM is awesome but I just don't use it like I thought I would. I got caught up reading some posts and reacted too quickly. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I got caught up reading some posts and reacted too quickly. :heh:

I started putting away my cards when browsing (researching) during the late hours. Because that's how I ended up in line for a Shirley :icon_blush:

You know you want it, don't torment yourself further, just get it.

Wishing you many fun and happy hours using it in advance.

Isn't it amazing how great BBQ originated in an open fire or pit using a cast iron pot or a simple spit to turn the meat but we need several hundred (or thousand) dollars to turn out stuff that's no better than they made!

They sent me one earlier this year to review. I like it alot. To me it seems with all the technology built into it and the price point, it's incomplete without an actual fan but I think they are doing it now.

The only thing I'd change about mine is the box needs some way keep it on the table and where you put it. it's small and light (which i wouldn't want to change) but because of that the probes dictate where it ends up sitting rather than the other way around.

They sent me one earlier this year to review. I like it alot. To me it seems with all the technology built into it and the price point, it's incomplete without an actual fan but I think they are doing it now.

The only thing I'd change about mine is the box needs some way keep it on the table and where you put it. it's small and light (which i wouldn't want to change) but because of that the probes dictate where it ends up sitting rather than the other way around.
Magnetic tape?

You guys can't follow instructions. He didn't say talk me into buying it. :pound:

If you don't buy it, you will have no choice but to tend the cooker with a cooler full of good beer. A Thermoworks Dot will give you data. Graph paper and a pencil for graphing, if needed for an excuse, for the rest.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Dang something else to get to do BBQ the right way. I'll get one when I make the last payment on my wally world charcoal chimney.

Let’s go NY Pork let’s go [clap, clap], let’s go NY Pork let’s go [bleacher stomp], let’s go NY Pork let’s go [cheerleader toss]...

Back