THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
Other than cutting the tips off that is.
I just made a vortex clone for the Weber and want to try some Georgia Red Wings this afternoon.
Seems there are less pieces to flip if I leave the two sections of the wings intact rather than cut.
I know the restaurants cut them so they can double the advertised count.
I think it will also stop my wife from eating all the drum pieces and leaving the other half for me.
Thoughts???

Other than cutting the tips off that is.
I just made a vortex clone for the Weber and want to try some Georgia Red Wings this afternoon.
Seems there are less pieces to flip if I leave the two sections of the wings intact rather than cut.
I know the restaurants cut them so they can double the advertised count.
I think it will also stop my wife from eating all the drum pieces and leaving the other half for me.
Thoughts???

I've just recently switched over to whole wings. Game changer for me. You get best of both worlds when grabbing the next wing. It sounds like a win for you if the drummies are disappearing first.

Last edited:
My last wing cook was done both ways.......

I bought a large pack of wings and had clipped off the tips, rinsed, dried and rubbed them and into the fridge overnight. I was just about to fire up the coals when my son called and said he was gonna be eating, too.

Had to get my giddy-up on and run over to the store two miles away....grab a pack for him.

Got home and the coals were already lit and more than ready.

Rush job on his wings....left them whole.

I can tell you....having a mixed grate was interesting looking, but in the future I prefer to buy whole wings and snip off the tips. You are assured to get an even amount of dummies and flats. Pulling them apart is part of the fun....especially if I did my job and delivered a crisp skin.

Nothing at all wrong with individual sections on there...just more to move and flip.

If just grilling I leave them whole but if making buffalo wings, I cut them. Easier to crisp up under the broiler of fry daddy. I like both and like to mix it up. One time I went to BWW and the brother in law asked for all flats, out came the wings and I got all drums. Kinda irked me they would do that.

Costco truly is the wing hook-up spot.

Those big packs are super. Scissor off the packs you want for today.....and the rest freeze with ease. :thumb:

Its super convenient. If I didnt have a store down the street that sells cut wings for .99/lb I would only buy at Costco

At my local grocery store the options are whole or frozen, 'enhanced' and separated. I prefer them separated but don't like having to break them down if I'm cooking for a crowd. Are the ones at Costco injected with salt water?

The Japanese store I go to sell them already split. I load up on the wingette portions because i like the skin to meat ratio compared to the drummies.

Tell me more about your vortex clone, please.

It's pretty complicated.
A coffee can with both ends cut out. Doesn't last as long as a real one but there's always a ready supply at our house.
I have a section of 6" galvanized duct left over from a previous project so I may see if I can roll it into the vortex shape and rivet it together.
So far the coffee cans work great.

You should make a poortex. (Can’t take credit for this) Get a large stainless dog bowl and cut the bottom out. File to remove the burrs.

Back