Best Headlamp?

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
With the shorter days I need a headlamp for que and the blackstone. What's best? There are single lights producing 150 lumens and multiple light versions with 5000 lumens?

Also that third strap over the head seems likes makes it easier.

For home i just use the cheapie ones. At work i have to win the mines bigger than yours contest.

I use an LED head lamp purchased at Lowe’s, found it in the check out line.

I've had a hard time with headlamps ever since I read a signature on garagejournal that said "I'd rather shut my d*ck in a car door, than wear a head lamp" and haven't touched one since. Recently I put up a motion light that covers my smoker, but I always have a Streamlight Stylus (I use the USB rechargeable one) in my pocket and I just hold it in my teeth and aim where I need.

People can say what they want about them......but a decent headlamp is mighty handy when grilling.

I've just bought the basic models from Lowe's. They will make it through a couple hunting seasons before I lose them.

Checkout line at Lowes, Home Depot, cheap, works good, easy to wear.
Putting a flashlight in your mouth gets old real quick.

Best? Thrunite TH10. Uses 18650 rechargeable. It will light up the night on turbo mode. Sorry, but I ain't techie enough to do a link, but I got mine from Amazon.

I've had a hard time with headlamps ever since I read a signature on garagejournal that said "I'd rather shut my d*ck in a car door, than wear a head lamp" and haven't touched one since. Recently I put up a motion light that covers my smoker, but I always have a Streamlight Stylus (I use the USB rechargeable one) in my pocket and I just hold it in my teeth and aim where I need.

I love random stuff and thus would like more information on the d!ck in car door vs head lamp ratio?? Those are two fairly different experiences :biggrin1:. I'm lucky to have only worn the head lamp, but want to know how awful wearing a head lamp is as to preferring d!ck in a car door :clap2:.

I use a Black Diamond Gizmo. Quality construction, weatherproof, lightweight, and less than $20. I use it for camping and grilling. Not the brightest, but bright enough to grill or put up a tent in pitch black conditions.

I have a couple 3 AAA Energizer LED models that I've used for years. Each has a red LED option to preserve your night vision, which is great for hunting & fishing. Got both from Lowes. They come in various lumen outputs.

http://www.energizer.com/lighting/headlights

I just have a cheapo headlamp somewhere but I'm looking to get a nicer one as well. I'd recommend something that uses an 18650. They're rechargeable and have more capacity and power than standard AA or AAA. A lot manufacturers make right angle lights with headbands.

I'd rather wear one than slam anything in a car door.

I have several Fenix products, because they have worked as advertised.

This headlamp (see link below) has plenty of intensity settings.
Moonlight low to blind you bright.
18650 battery. I have several of this size battery for recharging, and prefer the 3400mah.
This headlamp has a waterproof port for recharging the battery via USB cord.
This is my second Fenix headlamp, and prefer this model due to not having to remove battery to charge, even though it only takes a few seconds to unscrew the battery compartment cover.

I also like the battery pack being on the back of the headband. It balances the weight perfectly, and keeps the headlamp angle consistent.

Have several of the $10 to $30 models that run AAA, and they are fine for the money. But this one is like going to a LSG or a Shirley.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB50YHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love random stuff and thus would like more information on the d!ck in car door vs head lamp ratio?? Those are two fairly different experiences :biggrin1:. I'm lucky to have only worn the head lamp, but want to know how awful wearing a head lamp is as to preferring d!ck in a car door :clap2:.

Well, I was only searching that forum, not really a member there, so I don't know the whole story. I wore them for years, and never was pleased with them. I've had an arsenal of them, and still have 4-5 in my flashlight drawer in the toolbox. When I used them for work, I'd always end up with a dirty ring on my forehead, and people pissed off that you were trying to talk to them with a light in their eye.

Now I just always keep a pen light in my pocket. It has tons of uses. Just this week on vacation I've had to grab it a few times to read brochures and such in the dark. Our dogs like to run all over the yard chasing toys, and my phone flashlight can't get anywhere near the range of them, so the pocket flashlight is simple to grab and click on. I charge it once ever 3-4 months, and it's good for another round. Even with the motion light over my smoker-the pen light in the teeth is quick to see what's in the back corner of the cooker.

And, I have a coworker that thinks those headlamps are the best things in the world, and I make a concentrated effort to go out of my way to do the exact opposite of everything he likes or suggests.

Justin. Your distain for headlamps bothers me deeply. They are so handy and more functional than choking on a dirty flashlight. Its getting dark at 7 pm now. Daylight savings ends and we lose another hour and by winter it gets dark at 5. We use work lights but a head lamp augments this and follows you around. Im ok with blinding people and i always wear a hat at work (if not im picking granules put of my hair for 3 days) so no dirt ring issues.

I suggest you find a support group to help with dealing with this

Back