Subscription Renewal **** Please Join Me In Supporting The Brethren

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got the annual notice that my subscription was expiring. Today I renewed for another year without questioning the value I get from this forum. I know this is long...but please bear with me.

If you are not currently a subscriber, please consider it. $25 a year is the minimum donation to help keep this place running. There are a lot of costs to run a site like this. Hosting and storage and bandwidth costs are into the thousands every month. Believe it or not this is not a full time job for Phil...he does it in his spare time.

Phil/BBQchef33 founded this site out of his love for BBQ and the importance of maintaining an open forum for learning and teaching. He and the other founders also wanted a place the brotherhood and sisterhood could joke, and laugh and share in the good times and get support from friends in the rough times.

I know I have learned a lot and I've made some friends. There is no question my Q is far better than it was when I started lurking on this site a couple years ago. The techniques and recipes I've learned here have made me a better cook. I've participated in Trade Rounds and done some cool exchanges with people from around the country. I've entered a few Throwdowns and even won one!

Sometimes when I'm in a BBQ supply store a salesman will ask if I need help, or try to push some product on me ....I tell him...'Well the Brethren say that's a bunch of junk, or it's on sale for less at another place..' The reaction I get is always the same....'Oh, you're a Brethren? Well I guess you know what you're doing!'

Now you might say....but $25.... that's a lot. But I bet you've saved more than $25 on the information you've learned here. I know I have on KBB sales at Lowes alone. Not to mention the countless hundreds of dollars I've saved on things like Prime Day, Restaurant Depot membership fees, Brethren discounts to Oakridge for rubs or on Inkbird thermometers.

On top of all that there are other benefits. You get a cool beer icon and a star by your name. You get to choose an avatar. You get a larger signature line, you can upload attachments, do advanced searches, do multi member private messages, and access the private member areas where you can read in detail about the Inception of the Brethren and how this site was founded...all because of a typo/autocorrect.

Enough of my soapbox. Please consider a subscription and help keep this place running smoothly.

Why would you mail a check? The site accepts online payments.

When I went to do online it gave me choice of PayPal preferred or write check. I've canceled PayPal. I didn't explore further. If it (payment by credit card) was there I missed it. In my defense I may have had a beer or 4.

Last edited:
They're using paypal to clear CC's Adams. We use a professional version called Braintree at the day job, they are owned by PayPal. Probably as secure as any clearing house for CC's out there. It's certainly a choice to use a check but if it gets lost in the mail the bad guys have your banking info.

Just got my renewal email as well. Will be renewing with no questions asked for sure!!

This thread is really appreciated folks. Weve taken a pretty good hit with Facebook, folks using adblockers, and so many using mobile devices. These factors dropped the adsense funds that I used to supplement subscriptions with to about a third of what it used to be. We still run just barely in the black monthly, but we are no where near the surplus it was at one time. Your subscriptions help greatly and are truly appreciated.

phil

I guess I should add on about the check part. The odds of losing a check is almost non-existent, plus Phil doesn't have to pay a discount fee if you pay with one.

Sorry Adams I reread what I said and it didn't come out right.

Mine is due next month, I plan on stepping up a level on my subscription.

And Poobah made a good point. Turn off your adblockers for this site. I did last year with no negative results. Also it doesn't hurt to click on an add every now and again.

Back