MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
So 275 was with the vent left at the manufacture's setting? By chance did you open it up a bit more to see if it would get hotter? I'm sure it would. As for ambient temp, that's a big factor too.

Here's another situation that crossed my mind. I'm not a Q Comp person. I grill/smoke for friends, neighbors, and my family. Being that chicken is that one category that gives Comp folks the fits, anyone here have a PBS that could justify, etc using in a Comp?

I closely read Patio's write up on his blog about the PBC. From the packaging to the the overall attention to detail that I could get from the pics, it looks to be worth the money. Course, pics are one thing. I'd really like to hear more about the performance and quality from those of you that have purchased one.
Don't forget John's an engineer so I imagine he's pretty picky about the details of things. I'd take his review at face value.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Even chicken halves will hang off the hook quite a bit. Did you notice any excessive charring on the part that was closest to the coals. Good point, a therm can be added several ways I'm sure.
No charring what so ever on the chicken. It cooked very evenly. I put the meat hook in the breast under the wing so the leg and thigh was closest to the fire. The only noticible difference was the leg and thigh kind of stretched away from the breast while hanging during the cook process.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
So 275 was with the vent left at the manufacture's setting? By chance did you open it up a bit more to see if it would get hotter? I'm sure it would. As for ambient temp, that's a big factor too.

Here's another situation that crossed my mind. I'm not a Q Comp person. I grill/smoke for friends, neighbors, and my family. Being that chicken is that one category that gives Comp folks the fits, anyone here have a PBS that could justify, etc using in a Comp?

I closely read Patio's write up on his blog about the PBC. From the packaging to the the overall attention to detail that I could get from the pics, it looks to be worth the money. Course, pics are one thing. I'd really like to hear more about the performance and quality from those of you that have purchased one.
Yes that was with it set from the factory. I didn't mess with it, though next time I might close it off just a tad especially when it gets warmer. I don't mind cooking above 300 but would rather be under it.

As far as comps go, I haven't done any with it yet but I think that the higher temp will be a nice advantage in cooking up halves. Though for comps, I usually do thighs on my old coleman but at the next one (whenever that is) I will try out halves on the PBC. So far any chicken I have done on the PBC has turned out awesome and would be worthy for a comp box in my eyes.

Quality wise, its a tank. It is just has durable as any well built UDS and the powder coat is a nice touch. The horseshoe handles do in fact stay cool like they are supposed to. Performance is solid and it takes little effort to run this thing, even out of the box.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

From reading your posts, you seem to have all of the same questions that I did. I pulled the trigger and it arrived today. I have a therm on order which I will mount in it and measure the amount of opening and the result in temp.

On the PBC website, I see photos of people making pizza, grilling burgers and chicken wings so that leads me to believe that it can hit some higher temps.

I was very impressed with the packaging and my "first look."
I think that this little bbq pit will gain some momentum the more that people post up on the forum here (especially at the $225 offering price right now)
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robicus129 View Post
I cook a lot of chicken because my wife prefers it. However, I would like to see a full packer done on this. I really fancy brisket. I have one on order.
!
Please prove me wrong but it doesnt hold enough fuel to smoke a brisket. Sure you can add but why? It looks to me as it would make a nice grille.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Please prove me wrong but it doesnt hold enough fuel to smoke a brisket. Sure you can add but why? It looks to me as it would make a nice grille.
I can see that point, especially with a whole packer. I think I've seen at least one thread where a flat was cooked. I can see someone modding the basket though to hold more fuel. I'm sure someone will try that.

Bubba, with your background, what would you consider as an advantage of hanging meat vs. flat? How about stationary flat vs flat/rotatating grates?

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
If you go to the website I believe the have a video up cooking a brisket, I would think it holds enough fuel.

I definitely want one, tax money gift to myself maybe.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

This is my competition chicken cooker. I did my first ever IBCA contest last weekend and made final table with our pbc chicken half. I am hard at work on my KCBS thigh PBC modifications as we speak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibcachicken.JPG (374.7 KB, 579 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
Robicus129
Knows what a fatty is.

They did a full packer at the bottom here. Not sure if he added fuel or not. I see your point. Merely curious really and here to learn.
http://pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/

Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
landarc

Hey Bobby, I am not Bubba, but, I have some input.

The vertical hanging ovens that are often used in Chinatown are preferred for roasting, as the heat and smoke move along the meat lengthwise, this allows for the convection type of heat to act on the meat. This increases the evaporation of moisture from the surface of the meat. Thus, you get a better surface texture. There is also more even cooking.

Western cooks often believe this allows for self-basting of the meat, this really makes little sense, but, in a vertical oven, you can baste more effectively. When I use to watch the Chinese cooks, with their ducks and roast pork, they would have some poor soul hold a large bowl under the meat, then they would baste by pouring the liquid over the meat. This is partially how they achieve that perfect lacquered look.

A rotisserie rack moves the meat through a heat column, effectively creating a similar convection current of hot air to act on the meat. This eliminates the effect of hot spots on the meat. It also prevents, or decreases the likelihood of scorching on meat, as it moves through both hot and cold areas, the exposure to radiant heat is less focused.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
landarc

A few years ago, I would add, we hung some pork butts from hooks in my sister's smoke hut. This proved to be a poor strategy, as the pork started to pull off the hook, necessitating some scrambling on my part. Next time I try it, I will use mesh bags, if I try it again. It worked great for the chickens though.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
deguerre

Landarc Bob, is there anything you don't know? Besides moving a kettle that is.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
landarc

I don't know if a PBC holds enough charcoal to do a full packer.

Is the PBC wide enough in diameter to hold a full packer, say one around 14 pounds?

I will add, I really like char siu and watched the cooks in Chinatown closely, to learn as much as I could about what they did.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #29
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Hey Bobby, I am not Bubba, but, I have some input.

The vertical hanging ovens that are often used in Chinatown are preferred for roasting, as the heat and smoke move along the meat lengthwise, this allows for the convection type of heat to act on the meat. This increases the evaporation of moisture from the surface of the meat. Thus, you get a better surface texture. There is also more even cooking.

Western cooks often believe this allows for self-basting of the meat, this really makes little sense, but, in a vertical oven, you can baste more effectively. When I use to watch the Chinese cooks, with their ducks and roast pork, they would have some poor soul hold a large bowl under the meat, then they would baste by pouring the liquid over the meat. This is partially how they achieve that perfect lacquered look.

A rotisserie rack moves the meat through a heat column, effectively creating a similar convection current of hot air to act on the meat. This eliminates the effect of hot spots on the meat. It also prevents, or decreases the likelihood of scorching on meat, as it moves through both hot and cold areas, the exposure to radiant heat is less focused.
I can see that. Good points. So, if we then looked at cooking the same chicken half (just as an example) on a stationary flat grate in either a UDS, Egg, or any other cooker, how would we classify the process going on there? There is no movement through the heat column. You could baste via pouring. I think we can say that self basting is still taking place, just for the sake of not getting into a fat up/down self basting convo and side track the thead.

I think we have seen that there is something to be said about the surface texture and more even cooking byt what folks are saying about the PBC.

I can say that now with more folks purchasing the PBC, we are seeing that the results are consistent and that people are getting the same consistent results. As they experiement more with things like briskets and butts, etc, we will get more info in those areas too. Looking at the pics of the set up, I think a butt or a brisket could be done with the use of multiple hooks in the meat.

I think it's just a matter of time before someone tries it.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
Midnight Smoke

I looked as some pictures but not seeing how the Intake and Exhaust are located. Edit, okay I see the Exhaust...

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PBC, pit barrel, pit barrel cooker