MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #1771
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Also just ordered the Weber Kettle 26! Couldn’t resist!

What happened to waiting a month...?

SUCKA :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #1772
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
What happened to waiting a month...?

SUCKA :)
I tried to do the responsible thing lol.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #1773
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECENT BBQ View Post
So whats the best brand pellet smoker to go with these days based on reliability, consistency, smoke flavor, and parts availability in the next 5+ years? I'm very curious to invest in one of these for the upcoming Summer, as I won't have nearly as much time to regulate a fire on my offset as I do during the Fall/Winter.
Based on all the things you mentioned probably a Mak but also look into cookshack, Yoder, Memphis, and Kuma.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #1774
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAlan View Post
The best place to store your pellet grill and any pellet grill when not in use is in a garage. Water is a pellet grills worst enemy, always keep it covered with a grill cover and if you have one, use a shop-vac to clean the fire pot/burn pot after every use. Keep it clean and covered and it’ll always put out some fantastic bbq for you.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
I clean the burn pot about every 40# or so. Absolutely not necessary to vac it every time. You are right about water, you really don't want any wind-driven rain to get up under the pellet hopper. That will definitely make pellet concrete.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #1775
rwalters

Quote:
I tried to do the responsible thing lol.

After a few cooks and figuring out what works for you, I think you will absolutely love it! Where did you order from? Just an FYI that I learned when I bought mine a little over a year ago... do NOT except one with any scratches, chips or dents in the porcelain finish. I bought mine through Amazon and it arrived with a few small scratches/blemishes all the way through the porcelain finish. I called Weber to see if perhaps they had a simple touch up kit so I wouldn’t have to mess with a return. They flat out told me, let’s get this taken care of the correct way. I ended up having a replacement sent from Amazon and sent the bad one back. Weber told me that I would end up regretting a non-perfect kettle as it would be an immediate weak point on an otherwise (darn near) indestructible finish. Gotta love Weber!! If this happens, you may want to hang on to the return until the new arrives. Kind of funny, but I ended up keeping the base of the kettle from the original order and the lid from the new order as they were each the most “perfect” :)

Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #1776
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
I clean the burn pot about every 40# or so. Absolutely not necessary to vac it every time. You are right about water, you really don't want any wind-driven rain to get up under the pellet hopper. That will definitely make pellet concrete.
With my experience with Pit Boss pellet grills, I’ve found that if the burn pot is kept clean, the Enduser won’t endure wild temp swings as often along with understanding the P settings of their Smokers. The ash buildup in the burn pots effects each Brand of Pellet Grill differntly... Could a PB Pellet Grill Owner wait perhaps after the 2nd or 3rd cook to clean their grills burn pot?? Yes and that’s what Pit Boss recommends. When I got my PB Austin XL, I would wait to clean the burn pot after the 3rd cook... Then my grills temps started to become unstable and I suffered a flame out and a minor fire due to smoldering pellets. After some research of other pellet grill owners going through the same thing, I found that if You keep the burn pot clean and remove any excessive grease buildup, then the Wild Temp Swings and the Flameouts won’t happen... I clean my grills burn pot after every cook now and my grills temps have been Rock Solid. I’ve found that a Shop-Vac is a Pellet Grills best friend and it only takes a few minutes to clean up the mess a cook can leave behind. There’s a learning curve with each brand of pellet grill.. If You keep the burn pots in PB pellet grills clean, they’ll run super stable and put out some fantastic bbq..

RCAlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #1777
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
The ash buildup in the burn pots effects each Brand of Pellet Grill differntly
You are right and I should have thought of that. Sorry!
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #1778
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

So with my Tailgating pooper having a fire pot at the bottom, it’s essential a vertical cooker since everything drafts upward? Even the 4 vent holes are at the top.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #1779
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
After a few cooks and figuring out what works for you, I think you will absolutely love it! Where did you order from? Just an FYI that I learned when I bought mine a little over a year ago... do NOT except one with any scratches, chips or dents in the porcelain finish. I bought mine through Amazon and it arrived with a few small scratches/blemishes all the way through the porcelain finish. I called Weber to see if perhaps they had a simple touch up kit so I wouldn’t have to mess with a return. They flat out told me, let’s get this taken care of the correct way. I ended up having a replacement sent from Amazon and sent the bad one back. Weber told me that I would end up regretting a non-perfect kettle as it would be an immediate weak point on an otherwise (darn near) indestructible finish. Gotta love Weber!! If this happens, you may want to hang on to the return until the new arrives. Kind of funny, but I ended up keeping the base of the kettle from the original order and the lid from the new order as they were each the most “perfect” :)
Thanks for the advice! Weber customer service is legendary. They need their own pellet cooker now!

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #1780
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Weber customer service is legendary. They need their own pellet cooker now!
YYEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!

I’m keeping fingers crossed!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #1781
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Smoked chicken on the Mak.
Asian marinade-
3 tbs avocado oil
1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
3 tbs rice vinegar
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sriracha
1 tbs red chili flakes
.5 tbs garlic salt
1 teaspoon ginger

Smoked for an hour or so at 225 deg
Painted with teriyaki sauce and pan seared for char

It was very smoky and tons of layers of flavor!

Last edited by BKING!; 03-31-2019 at 09:17 AM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #1782
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

For roughly the same price - would you recommend a GMG DC that I have to buy online, or a Pit Boss Tailgater I can just go to the store and buy?

Other than the WIFI - is the DC really better quality? Pitboss claims 5 year warranty vs GMG 3.
SmokyDick is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #1783
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Quote:
I’ve found that a Shop-Vac is a Pellet Grills best friend and it only takes a few minutes to clean up the mess a cook can leave behind.

LOL!!!

I just bought a PB 5 series and at high temps(350-375) it sounds like Shop-Vac. But they do go together love brothers!!
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #1784
rwalters

Quote:
Smoked chicken on the Mak.

Asian marinade-

3 tbs avocado oil

1 tablespoon sesame seed oil

3 tbs rice vinegar

3 tbs soy sauce

1 tbs sriracha

1 tbs red chili flakes

.5 tbs garlic salt

1 teaspoon ginger

Smoked for an hour or so at 225 deg

Painted with teriyaki sauce and pan seared for char

It was very smoky and tons of layers of flavor!

Fantastic low carb dinner... love it!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #1785
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrob View Post
LOL!!!

I just bought a PB 5 series and at high temps(350-375) it sounds like Shop-Vac. But they do go together love brothers!!
lol... I should have said a Shop-vac is a Pellet Grill Owners best friend.. Keep them clean and they’ll keep those pellet grills and Owners happy.

RCAlan is offline   Reply With Quote