Drying Cabinet For Dry Cured Sausages

bluetang

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm looking into putting together a drying cabinet for making fermented sausages. I need to control both temp and humidity. I've googled the subject and boiled it down to this: a line voltage thermo to control the temp, a humidistat to control the humidity, and a box to hold it all. A freezer seems to be the right choice because with the line voltage thermo, it can be a fridge or a freezer. I'll use a small room humidifier to add moisture via the humidistat. Am I barking at the moon here? Anyone making dry cured sausage, please chime in. Thanks

I asked the same question last year and the general consensus and one I'm going to go with is that a cigar humidor (humidifier) would be the best bet. It's got everything you need to control the humidity.

The humidor is a great idea. I've been doing this same research as this is something I want to try, and a lot of people have used small freezers like you mentioned bluetang. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm pretty mechanically challenged so I might try the humidor idea. Keep us posted as you make any progress.

I have a couple of concerns with using a freezer is one, you are going to have have some type of exaust if it gets to humid as well as a way to get more humidity in if it's to low and two, if you put some type of heater in it and it has a plastic liner you may get unwanted chemicals floating around your food....

Somewhere, I saw a guy with a fridge. He used a towel draped over the shelf into a sheet pan filled with water. He said it maintained 75-77 humidity. You can pick up a digital humidity gauge (ignorant mod) for $10 and up.

Well, good, bad, or indifferent, I pulled da trigger and bought some things. I looked hard at the humidors, very slick, but I've not had great luck with "all in ones". With that notion I ordered a humidastat from Allied Kenco-http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/934/products_id/3248. I will get a cool mist humidifier locally. I ordered a thermo from McMaster Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=a6xzhn, G, it's digital. I also ordered a Honeywell thermo/hydrometer so I don't have to open the door to check the temp and humidity http://www.time-weather.com/tminthwi1bod.html. I haven't ordered one yet , but I think a reptile heating rock will give me the heat I need for the first 24-48 hours. All I think I need now is the freezer. And, if I have any more wine, I will probably order a mig welder for my offset project:icon_blush: Will keep ya'll posted. Dry cured cappacola-OMG! Thanks so much for the replies:thumb:

Greetings Bluetang,

How has your curing chamber worked out? If you have learned anything since your last post, i'm sure the community would like to know. I know that i would, since i am a real tightwad and hate spending good money on crummy controls.

My name is Chuck, i've been a member here for many years- I'm a lurker, but I lurk infrequently. While i can grill and smoke food that is often good, sometimes awesome but never less than acceptable, I don't feel the need to check in very often.

I've decided to start making sausages and searching here seems like a good start. With a thought to not burn out my family on fresh sausages, I'm looking ahead to cured meats and salami. If you have some input on your curing chamber, i'd appreciate hearing what you have learned.

FWIW, I've been a professional brewer for over 25 years so if you ever need some advice in that arena, I may be able to reciprocate.

Best regards, icharmeat.

Back