MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Default 1st whole hog comp

I got the opportunity to join a NC Pork Council whole hog comp this weekend. It was definitely eye opening experience for me. I was setup next to the 3 time defending state champ so it was an awesome learning experience. Finished 2nd in showmanship....DAL in pig. It was still farkin awesome. I went in thinking I knew a lot because I have cooked a lot of whole hogs through the years and came away understanding that I know little about cooking one for judges had become very set in my ways. Any way, here's my DAL hog:

before judging:

after judging:
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

I assume DAL is Dead A.. last?

Bummer

Chuck
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So what was wrong with it?
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post

Bummer

Chuck
I know what you mean. I don't text and my kids are grown, married and left the roost so I really don't understand all of the acronyms so I did a search and found the latest. It is only 45 pages long.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

DAL is a cookoff thing... I've been computer savy for many years, just found out what
DAL was a few months ago, here, on Brethren.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
So what was wrong with it?
Agreed, it looks really good. So, what was wrong? Cold in the box?
Not moist enough? It sure looks good....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post
Bummer

Chuck
Unfortunately, that's what it means. I learned that one here from the brethren as well. I guess that means I am not the first to enjoy the distinction.

There were multiple things wrong. The NC scoring is quite different. They score at the pit so no turn in boxes. The grade is broken out by color, cripyness of skin, texture - basically it has to be really moist, taste, sauce and completeness. The judges go straight to the thermometers to ensure the shoulders and hams are at least 170 degrees then they start ripping the bones out. All must come out cleanly. They roll the hog and check the skin. Pull meat from each section and squeeze to check the moisture. They then take a piece or 2 and dip into your sauce for the taste. The completeness, which everyone should nail because it is basically having everything layed out per there rule book, killed me. I was supposed to have 4 knives out and only had 2, all sides of the cooker were not accessable and we had to move things around, etc. The hog finished early and it had dried out a bit. I was a last minute addition. It was a ten team comp but my cousin who is ranked top 5 in the state, got them to add an eleventh because he knew I was itching to do one of these and it was close to home. Just geting to sit with the champs and talk BBQ all night and seeing them in action was worth a ton to me.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry to hear about the place, but it looks nice. If you don't mind me asking, how big is your pit and how big was that pig?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

This is bad but I have used that cooker since high school, I am now 40 years old and I do not know the exact dimensions. That was a 120lb hog. The largest I have cooked on it is 160lbs. It will hold 22 boston butts in the 8lb range.

Interestingly enough, this style of competing is done primarily on propane fired cookers. That's the reason I try to refer to this one as a cooker and not a smoker/pitt etc. I went into this terribly unprepared. I totally understimated the difficulty and level of perfection required to actually compete.

I grew up cooking with this machine and only got into the KCBS style about 2 years ago when I visited a friend on the lake of the Ozarks. I cooked ribs with his father-in-law and fell in love with the whole live fire and smoke thing. 2 totally different styles but equally challenging in their own way.