MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Great looking patty melt, one of my favorites! Nice looking breakfast, too.

Norm informed me I won a 17" Blackstone in the fundraiser and will ship this week. Really looking forward to trying it out. Will run a few small bottles of propane through it to gauge how much it uses then may get a stainless braided hose for a 20# tank. Saw a 10' with good reviews on Amazon for under $25.

What were the seasoning instructions that came with the Rhino?

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #32
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4thot View Post
What were the seasoning instructions that came with the Rhino?
Paraphrased from the instructions:

- Wipe down the griddle with a dry paper towel
- Burner on High for 15 Min
- Let griddle cool a bit, then apply thin coat of finishing oil (they suggest flax seed) to entire griddle surface with paper towel

Repeat the burner on high / oil application x 3.

Cleanup was pretty easy after breakfast. Scraped all the food bits off into the drain. Ran it on high. Let it cool a bit. Hit any stubborn bits with a damp rag/towel. Applied thin coat of oil. Heated up one more time. One more oil application. Cleaned out the drain cup. Good to go for next time.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #33
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

And just like that I ordered a 22in Blackstone. Thanks, ShadowDriver.
$121.95, shipping and tax included.
It ain't cheap being a Brethren.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #34
skywalker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
And just like that I ordered a 22in Blackstone. Thanks, ShadowDriver.
$121.95, shipping and tax included.
Man I got to stop looking this appears to be contagious.My wallet is already running on E from HS Prom purchases.Good choice guys.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #35
Smokie185
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

- Let griddle cool a bit, then apply thin coat of finishing oil (they suggest flax seed) to entire griddle surface with paper towel

Cleanup was pretty easy after breakfast. Scraped all the food bits off into the drain. Ran it on high. Let it cool a bit. Hit any stubborn bits with a damp rag/towel. Applied thin coat of oil. Heated up one more time. One more oil application. Cleaned out the drain cup. Good to go for next time.
Might want to use something other than flax seed oil. I have had a problem with it peeling. Now I just use Crisco.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #36
LYU370

How big of a grease mess does the Blue Rhino leave behind? I've stopped using my Blackstone because of the mess. Hoping degreaser will get the nastiness out of the deck. Although I do miss making Oklahoma Onion Burgers. Mmmm...

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #37
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
How big of a grease mess does the Blue Rhino leave behind?
At the moment, the mess has been minimal. The griddle drains very well into about a 3/4-1 cup sized cup in the front left corner. I've had the occasional free range hash brown from this morning, but nothing too crazy just yet (knock on a woodlike substance).

Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #38
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I've been using Peanut Oil on mine. And occasionally seared fingertips.
It's working fine. We had breakfast on the patio this morning.
Bacon and scrambled eggs.
Wife said it smelled like we were camping. I have to agree, it tasted like we were camping. It tasted great!

They do say to not use corn oil to season with. Seems the sugar in corn oil burns on and mucks up the griddle.
I have to run mine on low to low/medium. Still, stuff cooks fast on it.

Last edited by SonnyE; 05-05-2019 at 05:50 PM..
SonnyE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #39
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
How big of a grease mess does the Blue Rhino leave behind? I've stopped using my Blackstone because of the mess. Hoping degreaser will get the nastiness out of the deck. Although I do miss making Oklahoma Onion Burgers. Mmmm...
My limited experience has been like Shadow Diver's.
Very minimal. But the griddle on these is pan-like, so the only escape is into the catch cup.
I did take the time to level mine up on the table I was using. That seemed to help a lot in my case, but just home made Bacon and Scrambled Eggs this morning.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #40
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
But... it feeds you well, William.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #41
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

I apparently misunderstood Norm. Thought he was shipping the Blackstone out today. It arrived today. Thanks again, Norm.

Griddle itself is heavy duty. Even if I manage to burnout the base/burner unit it can easily be set up in the kettle.

Seasoning instructions are much like the Rhino. Blackstone lists 4 oils:

flax seed
EVVO
vegetable
soy

Find their list of oils curious because the smoke points range from ~225 (flax seed) to ~450 (soy).

Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #42
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Breakfast - the best meal made even better on a flattop and burgers what can I say... they’re an addiction. Your gonna love that thing and your obviously off to a great start. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Blue Rhino, griddle, Patty Melt, smashburger