Cochinita Pibil Question

Plata-O-Plomo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to make Cochinita Pibil on Saturday. I was thinking about injecting the sauce and letting it all marinate over night. Is there any problem with injecting the citrus based sauce and letting it sit for 15-20 hours? I know citrus can start the cooking process. Just wondering

Also, I am new to this recipe. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to read them.

Thank you

So I guess....you could make the package the night before...then just cook it the next day.

Hmm...looks and sounds scrumptious!!

I have a new tortilla press...I am dying to use.

Careful using the annatto/achiote. In addition to being a spice, it's also a food coloring. Wear gloves.

Thank you for hooking me up! Awesome recipe. I hope mine comes out as good as yours even looks!

By the way, I grew up in Escondido.
Thanks.

What a small world it is sometimes. I've always loved the Gardnerville / Minden area and we have relatives that live in Reno.

Related question - If I'm unable to get banana leaves, should we just roll with the rest of the "package" wrapping (parchment paper + foil) or go in another direction?

I am just getting ready on my first attempt at this. I went to a couple Mexican grocery stores in Carson City. The first one had frozen plantain leaves which I passed on. The second had fresh banana leaves. The leaves are supposed to help flavor the overall product. Amazon has them but they look a little pricey.

Related question - If I'm unable to get banana leaves, should we just roll with the rest of the "package" wrapping (parchment paper + foil) or go in another direction?

I am just getting ready on my first attempt at this. I went to a couple Mexican grocery stores in Carson City. The first one had frozen plantain leaves which I passed on. The second had fresh banana leaves. The leaves are supposed to help flavor the overall product. Amazon has them but they look a little pricey.
Plata is on the right track. Banana leaves can usually be found in a Latin Mercado. Sometimes they can be found in the produce section. If not there check the freezer section. If all else fails you can get them from Amazon like Plata said.

The banana leaves do two things for the dish. The first is to add some flavor. The second an equally important is to provide some moisture as you cook it. They help produce a braising effect.

If you get the frozen leaves they will be more brittle. You should just line a pan with them (like an aluminum chaffing pan) and then put the pork in the pan and cover it up with more leaves and then some aluminum foil.

Here's an example of that method.

Okay, I made this yesterday. I am sorry, I did not take any pics. We were watching grand kids all day. Enough said about that.

Here is what I used/did:

1. I had a 9 pound butt, bone in. I took the fat cap down to about 1/4". I scored both sides about 1 to 2 inches deep. I lightly salted the butt with kosher salt.
2. I used a box of El Yucateco Anchioto Paste. I added about a teaspoon of both coriander and cumin. I mixed all this into about 1 1/4 cup of Naranja Agria (sour orange).
3. I marinated the butt in the juice mixture over night.
4. I placed banana leaves on the bottom of an aluminum pan. Placed the butt into it, poured the marinade over the top, then covered the top of the pan with more banana leaves. I then covered and sealed the pan with aluminum foil.
5. I baked this in my big green egg running it at about 310. Five hours in I opened the egg for the first time and temped the meat. It was right at 202 and tender. I let it go another ten minutes then pulled and rested.
6. I removed the banana leaves and the liquid from the pan. Shredded the pork, took the fat off the top of the juices and mixed it back in.
7. Then...we ate.

Overall the critique was that it tasted just like the authentic pork from the Yucatan. I cant wait for left overs tonight in that I know it will even get better.

I also did the pickled onions which I totally loved!
1. Sliced red onion in about 1/4" width.
2. Boiled water
3. Poured boiling water onto the onions.
4. Left the water on the onions for about 45-50 seconds then strained.
5. I placed the strained onions into a mason jar, added about 1.5 teaspoon of kosher salt, then covered with the Naranja Agria.
6. Chilled for about four hours until dinner.
YUM!

I found all the stuff here at a local market. I really enjoyed going into the markets to see their meat counters and food counters.

POP

Just wondering:
Could you wrap in only banana leaves? Maybe a triple layer?
It would look so much cooler and I got basically unlimited access to banana leaves...

After only doing this once I am for sure no expert. It appears the banana leaves are to help keep the marinade and juices inside so that the pork braises. It will also add it's own flavor. I found that the fresh banana leaves I purchased were still somewhat brittle and easily split. I am not sure that you will be able to hold all the juices inside the package with just the leaves. But this is BBQ, give it a try. The package of leaves I purchased would easily wrap the butt three or four times. Definitely place a pan or something under it to catch the fallout.

Just wondering:
Could you wrap in only banana leaves? Maybe a triple layer?
It would look so much cooler and I got basically unlimited access to banana leaves...

After only doing this once I am for sure no expert. It appears the banana leaves are to help keep the marinade and juices inside so that the pork braises. It will also add it's own flavor. I found that the fresh banana leaves I purchased were still somewhat brittle and easily split. I am not sure that you will be able to hold all the juices inside the package with just the leaves. But this is BBQ, give it a try. The package of leaves I purchased would easily wrap the butt three or four times. Definitely place a pan or something under it to catch the fallout.
P-O-P has it right again. The banana leaves would never be able to hold the marinade and juices in on their own. Wrapping in just banana leave would be fine so long as you have a pan under it all. Also the top leaves will dry out and possible burn so covering with foil would be best.

Back