MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #9751
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great, Jim. I bet it came out tasty

Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #9752
luberconn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Lou

Been a while since I've posted here. Nice to see people are still cookin'! Thanksgiving turkey was a hit, as always. :) 15lb bird with oak wood chunks and a southwest chipotle rub.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #9753
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by luberconn View Post
Been a while since I've posted here. Nice to see people are still cookin'! Thanksgiving turkey was a hit, as always. :) 15lb bird with oak wood chunks and a southwest chipotle rub.

Wow! That bird looks awesome

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #9754
luberconn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
Wow! That bird looks awesome

appreciate it! i think the rub really helped with that! has a nice coloring to it. didn't monitor temps. just cooked it until it hit about 163 in the thick of the breast and hit it with cooking spray every hr. about 3.5hr total cook time.

here is the before pic.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #9755
RDC
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ray

Here is my first addition to this thread.

This is my third cook on my new PBC. First was a rack of ribs. They came out awesome! Second was a 10# turkey. My wife said it was a little too "smokey" for her. My son and I loved it.

Tonight was a pheasant.

My son shot this bird yesterday. It was his first pheasant.

I helped him make a rub of: black pepper, Kosher salt, smoked paprika, and brown sugar.

He spread some vegetable oil over the bird and then applied the rub.

I setup the PBC with a half load of charcoal.

2 hours later, the bird hit 160*F.

It came out super moist and juicy.

Ray

Last edited by RDC; 12-08-2019 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: added pics
RDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #9756
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

What are people using for charcoal/lump? I've been having some real issues with KBB getting really ashy; it's snuffing out and clogging my basket (I have the ash pan). Cooked ribs today (temp in the teens) and even though I had good temps I had to poke the charcoal a couple times to get the ash off live coals. Charcoal lasted a lot shorter than normal which could have been from the cold temps but I use my PBC all year round and haven't experienced this issue too much in the past.

Long story short should I stick with Kingsford or are there suggestions for readily available different brands that work in the PBC?

Old 12-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #9757
RDC
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ray

I'm far from an expert on the PBC, but I've had pretty decent results using the Royal Oak brand charcoal briquettes. My wife has a dislike for the taste of Kingford, but finds the Royal Oak palatable.

The other thing that I did to my charcoal basket, was to use stainless steel fender washers and 2" x 1/4 / 20 bolts to raise the bottom of the basket away from the floor of the PBC. I noticed that there was not a lot of room for airflow on a long cook. I think this helps.

Regards,

Ray
RDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #9758
pharp
Banned

Quote:
What are people using for charcoal/lump? I've been having some real issues with KBB getting really ashy; it's snuffing out and clogging my basket (I have the ash pan). Cooked ribs today (temp in the teens) and even though I had good temps I had to poke the charcoal a couple times to get the ash off live coals. Charcoal lasted a lot shorter than normal which could have been from the cold temps but I use my PBC all year round and haven't experienced this issue too much in the past.

Long story short should I stick with Kingsford or are there suggestions for readily available different brands that work in the PBC?
I have literally done hundreds of cooks with KBB and never had a problem. Did your charcoal get wet or anything?
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #9759
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I have literally done hundreds of cooks with KBB and never had a problem. Did your charcoal get wet or anything?
No it was perfectly dry. I'm wondering if I'm being too Yankee cheap and using fire bricks for a half basket cook. Maybe the fire bricks are preventing the ash from dropping properly; but I remember my last brisket cook last winter I had serious issues with fat drippings and ash clogging build up. Also my charcoal might be old because last Home Depot sale I stocked up.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #9760
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
No it was perfectly dry. I'm wondering if I'm being too Yankee cheap and using fire bricks for a half basket cook. Maybe the fire bricks are preventing the ash from dropping properly; but I remember my last brisket cook last winter I had serious issues with fat drippings and ash clogging build up. Also my charcoal might be old because last Home Depot sale I stocked up.
Does charcoal being old make a difference? I'm still using KBB from last year as well, but don't think I've noticed any real difference. I had to fight my PBC on thanksgiving with my turkey as well, but I figured it was probably just drips from a brined turkey plus the cold. Still got it done adn the turkey came out amazing, just had to crack the lid every so often.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #9761
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
I don't think it was the half basket and fire bricks. I've used that method a lot with good results. I will say however I never use it for a cook over about 3-4 hours. Usually they are short cooks and mainly chicken.
Could be old coal or maybe just a bad batch?? Having said that, I don't use KBB for anything other than the initial lighting of coals. I've been using Royal Oak lately since I can't find Stubb's anymore.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #9762
hs106
Got Wood.

Moving and can't take my PBC with me. If anyone in the Las Vegas area wants one, please PM me.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #9763
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Impulse buy alert! It may have been alcohol induced but I miss a barrel cooker, just pulled the trigger on a new PBC.

Stand by for plenty of??????

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #9764
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Impulse buy alert! It may have been alcohol induced but I miss a barrel cooker, just pulled the trigger on a new PBC.

Stand by for plenty of??????
Awesome Tom! It'll be a great addition to your arsenal of cookers! Looking forward to seeing what you cook up in the PBC!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #9765
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I’ve had my PBC for many years and all the turkey photos recently made me curious to hear if anyone has tried hanging their turkey feet side down rather than breast side down? Would there be a difference?
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it