What to cook

Back9Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Having hard time deciding whats to throw on offset next. Looking for something maybe a little outside box of the standard brisket,butt,ribs, etc. been going on about 1.5month now with the OKJ and this is cook list thus far

Prime brisket
Baby backs
Spares
Whole hog
Prime rib
Butt

I do alot of steaks and chix on the Komodo Kamado. What else is tasty on an offset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHA. I swear as soon as I hit submit button I said someone is going to say Spam. I have seen that posted before on another forum and thought of it makes me feel sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spam. Blooming Spamion…………
HAHA. I swear as soon as I hit submit button I said someone is going to say Spam. I have seen that posted before on another forum and thought of it makes me feel sick

I actually tasted Spam for the first time a couple years ago at a Texas Brethren Bash, actually it was Smitty's smoked spam. Never ever thought I'd like spam, but Smitty can smoke up some mean spam.

I've pretty much stopped looking for "new" things to smoke. I mix it up -space it out- season it differently just to try to keep it from being just "another butt, another rack of ribs, another brisket...." Hard to stay enthused at times.

BTW- the spam is pretty good- and the smoked meatloaf? Oh yeah.

If I get bored with the "normal" meats I like to just go in a totally different taste direction. I find that a lot of "traditional" rubs and sauces aren't really different at the end of the day. Go off on a tangent and try some Jamaican jerk, tai, South American, African or other global areas for different spices and sauce combinations. Tons out there on internet. Some of the jerk combinations are totally off the map in regards to looks and flavors, but are soooooooo good.

I'm that guy just trying to get the traditional cuts dialed in, so I may not be of help. However, perhaps something from Bison to mix it up?

If I get bored with the "normal" meats I like to just go in a totally different taste direction. I find that a lot of "traditional" rubs and sauces aren't really different at the end of the day. Go off on a tangent and try some Jamaican jerk, tai, South American, African or other global areas for different spices and sauce combinations. Tons out there on internet. Some of the jerk combinations are totally off the map in regards to looks and flavors, but are soooooooo good.

Excellent suggestion! I LOVE jerk chicken and would like to have a go doing it myself. Thanks!:thumb:

Second the suggestions for meat loaf, fatties.

Would add chuck roasts to the list.

What you noted in your list as well as the above are part of my regular rotation. The nice thing about the above list is that there are sooooo many different ways of preparing everything that it's hard to get tired of any one item.

Would also suggest adding sides (e.g., mac n cheese, Keri's/Wampus loaded beans, ABTs, Scotch eggs, etc.).

Bruce

Next up for me is some candied pecans and smoked nuts. Great snacks to have around and a quick, fun smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love salmon on my offset.
e33b7ef36a4ba590b017da8259b690c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back