Any one have a great recipe for Chili

smokincracker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Cracker needs chili

I need to turn-in chili at the local Q contest as a side entry in Jan.
Any help would be great.

Any real good ones PM them to me if you are willing....

Thanks
Cracker

I got lots of them and most are past winners of chili cookoffs. What are you looking for? Hot, no beans, white, chicken, mild, unusual. Give me an idea of what type you like and I will post a couple of them. They are all good, it just a matter of preference.

For something different, try this. I call this a "white" chili. It's called Chili Pit Chili. We really like it.

Chili Pit Chili

Shopping List:

2 pound pork
1 package of bacon
1 large onion
garlic
chili powder
oregano
cumin
1 quart chicken broth
2 14&1/2 oz cans of hominy
6 ancho chiles
2 10 oz cans yellow corn

directions:

In large pot over med heat, fry 4 or 6 slices of bacon, remove, pour off all but 2 or 3 tblsp of fat, add pork (cubed). Cook & stir till brown. Add onion (1 & 1/2 cups)and garlic (2 cloves). Cook till tender. Crumble bacon & add with chili powder ( 1 tblsp), oregano (1 tsp), cumin (1/4 tsp), broth and drained hominy. Boil. Wash dried ancho chili pods, dice and add to mixture. Simmer 2-3 hours, adding more broth or water as needed. Add drained yellow corn & eat.

Elkhound said:
I got lots of them and most are past winners of chili cookoffs. What are you looking for? Hot, no beans, white, chicken, mild, unusual. Give me an idea of what type you like and I will post a couple of them. They are all good, it just a matter of preference.

What do you recomend?
unusual sonds good.

Thanks

and thanks for the chili pit chili recipe

OK, I'll post a couple of my personal (unusual favorites toinight.) Do you have access to different types of ground chilies?

smokincracker said:
No I do not have access to chilis.

Check your local Publix, if you haven't. I can get pure ground Chipotle, Ancho, and sometimes others at the Publix here in O-town. Not as much selection as our fortunate Texas Bros, but better than no-thing.
Also I as sure you are aware, the latino markets usually have lots of whole dried chilies, if you want to make your own powder.
Just a thought

smokincracker said:
No I do not have access to chilis.

Try penderys.com or fiestaspices.com

I'm lazy so I buy frozen green chilies in the 1 pt. plastic container from Bueno.

Jimmy--our Wally World has a big rack display of dried chilies, as does the one in Dothan.
Good selection.
However, it was back by the milk and beer section last time I remember. Go Figure :twisted:

Good Luck!

TIM

Bigdog said:
I'm lazy so I buy frozen green chilies in the 1 pt. plastic container from Bueno.

DOG, MY BRUTHUH!!! What and where is Bueno? I am in serious need of frozen green chilis for my green chili recipe I used to make! Can't find them outside of Colorado!

What happened to my recipe that I posted with the "Deglaze the chef Picture"? I did a search but it isn't there.

Here is their web site, but the shipping is outrageous.
http://www.buenofoods.com/chile.htm
May have better luck checking out grocery stores in the Hispanic areas.

Many times you can find trucks on busy corners selling and roasting chilies. Some even have bags of frozen ones for us lazy farkers. Check with your Hispanic friends. I have seen this as far north as Wichita, but not sure if there are any doing this in KC area. You may need to make a field trip to CO to see you beloved Broncos and buy some there. They are prevelant in the Hispanic area there.

I am not sure that it would be called "great" chili, but I like what I make and have no complaints:

2 lbs ground beef
2 #15 cans of diced tomatoes
2 #15 cans of red kidney beans
1 onion Medium or Large depending on taste
1 can of mushrooms (optional)
onion powder
garlic power
chili power
black pepper
red pepper
white pepper (it sometimes can sneak up on you without the bite)
salt

I don't measure only add to taste on spices.

Bigdog said:
Here is their web site, but the shipping is outrageous.
http://www.buenofoods.com/chile.htm
May have better luck checking out grocery stores in the Hispanic areas.

Many times you can find trucks on busy corners selling and roasting chilies. Some even have bags of frozen ones for us lazy farkers. Check with your Hispanic friends. I have seen this as far north as Wichita, but not sure if there are any doing this in KC area. You may need to make a field trip to CO to see you beloved Broncos and buy some there. They are prevelant in the Hispanic area there.

Bigdog, you may not be a lazy farker, but you are a lucky farker. Trucks selling roasted and or frozen green chilies along side the road? We are lucky to find canned green chilies:eek: in most supermarkets here, and then they think a 4 ounce can is generous.
There is one Wally-world that has a lot of hispanic/latino stock, and they usually have a selection of dried chilies.

My best bet it to go to the hispanic markets.

On the other hand, ya'll proabally don't have guys in trucks selling fresh shrimp for 4 or 5 bucks a pound off their tailgates:grin:

Thanks Kevin! You may deglaze now.

Thanks Guys now I got some home work to do.
Mista I dig the Chili with pictures.
This is gonna take some time to figure out.
I like the smoked ground beef and roasted chilis....

Back