MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
IowaWildHogsBbq
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket for Comps

I used to only cook brisket flats for comps next year I am going to start using packers. Just not happy with the flats tenderness wise. My question is how many brisket packers do you cook for comps? I usally cooked two flats but with a whole brisket I will have a bigger flat to use and can make burnt ends also.
IowaWildHogsBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaWildHogsBbq View Post
I used to only cook brisket flats for comps next year I am going to start using packers. Just not happy with the flats tenderness wise. My question is how many brisket packers do you cook for comps? I usally cooked two flats but with a whole brisket I will have a bigger flat to use and can make burnt ends also.
Why aren't you happy with the tenderness of your flats? Are you cooking to a set temp or cooking it until it is actually done? We always cook 2 briskets be it 2 packers or 1 packer and one flat. I am always on the lookout for a nicely marbled brisket and won't hesitate to buy a flat if it looks good.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
IowaWildHogsBbq

I was cooking to tenderness not temp. But where I get my flats there is no fat cap on them It had been trimmed aggresively. When the probe goes in like butter I pull it just seemed to dry maybe injecting would help.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

We cook 2 full packers between 14lbs and 16lbs per comp. I like redundancy. We usually vary the cooking time by an hour or two. I may use 1.2hrs/lb on the first one and 1.3hrs/lb on the second if they're near same weight. That gives you a wide variation to play with. I check them both out and go with the one that looks best. You'd be surprised at how many times I've pulled what I thought would be the best one and it turned out to be the other...

If your probe is butter and your brisket is over-done and dry, re-calibrate your feel and pull it a little earlier. Keep decreasing the time and adjusting the feel to find the best typical tenderness. It took me quite a few briskets to really dial it in.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaWildHogsBbq View Post
I was cooking to tenderness not temp. But where I get my flats there is no fat cap on them It had been trimmed aggresively. When the probe goes in like butter I pull it just seemed to dry maybe injecting would help.
Ahhh - I can see an over-trimmed brisket being problematic. Pick up an angus brisket at Sam's - I have had great results with them lately. It is actually a "nose-off" brisket so the only trimming is removing the thick part of the point. Still a nice fat cap and a layer of fat and point under the flat. RD sells nose off briskets as well. Injecting helps but isn't necessary for tender brisket. If the briskets on display do not have satisfactory marbling or thickness usually the meat guy will open up a case to pick through.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Not having a fat cap will definitely make a difference. Also..do you wrap at any point?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

I buy my briskets at Sam's and always cook 2 full packers in the 14-16 lb range. I trim the fat on both sides of the point and trim the flat down to about 1/4 inch of fat. I inject and foil. After pulling I rest about 15 minutes prior to putting them in the cambo. This process seems to work well for me.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

I only cook one brisket full packer between 16-18 lbs

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We cooked 2 per comp this year...whatever looked best from Costco...flats or packers...makes no difference to us...next year we're cooking 1 brisket per comp.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

1 whole packer for me

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
IowaWildHogsBbq

I wrap them but I think not having a fat cap is hurting me.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
Ahhh - I can see an over-trimmed brisket being problematic. Pick up an angus brisket at Sam's - I have had great results with them lately. It is actually a "nose-off" brisket so the only trimming is removing the thick part of the point. Still a nice fat cap and a layer of fat and point under the flat. RD sells nose off briskets as well. Injecting helps but isn't necessary for tender brisket. If the briskets on display do not have satisfactory marbling or thickness usually the meat guy will open up a case to pick through.
He lives 65 miles one way from the nearest Sam's Club. Gotta be a better way.

Do you have a butcher you buy from, or just the grocery store?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
He lives 65 miles one way from the nearest Sam's Club. Gotta be a better way.

Do you have a butcher you buy from, or just the grocery store?
It is amazing what a regular grocery store can get with a few phone calls!!!

I regularly cook 2 packers, usually 12-16 pounds, some less, some more, depending on flat/point thickness. I normally do not see many flats besides wal-mart around here or unless the guys at sam's murder one up and repackage it

Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
IowaWildHogsBbq

I buy from a butcher alot cheaper then some of the grocery stores we have. I am going to talk to him about the flats don't know if he trimes them or the plant he gets them from. It was my first year competing so I am kinda new to meat selection but I have a better understanding now what to look for. If he can't get what I need which I am sure he can I will have to go somewhere else.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
IowaWildHogsBbq

I have talked to the meat manager at the fareway he charges 6.00 dollars a pound I can get a whole packer at walmart for 2 something a pound. My butcher charges me 3.19 a pound for flats. I am going to have to talk to him about what he can get me and prices. The only reason I buy from his ribs are the best and his pork butts are also very good.