MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
bigzthamoose
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket Rub for Comps, not the usual question..

Hey guys, I got a dumb question, and chances are good i wont even word it correctly to make sense of it anyways, I was just wondering, are judges looking for a heavy pepper flavor in brisket? The reason I ask, I have recently been trying out a few commercial rubs that have been recommended, and when i taste it before the smoke, just straight out of the jar, i dont get the big hit of pepper, which is good for me, bc i dont like overpowering pepper flavor, but for some dang reason, EVERY time i have cooked one with it, my end result is a heavy pepper taste, with pretty much no other taste along with it. I dont like that. I also know that im not cookin for me, im cookin for a judges flavor. The rubs i isued beforehand, was one i made, and the end result was a flavor of many spices and gave a good savory/ salty taste, which i really enjoyed. The thing is, am i just so new that i dont realize that the reason these commercial rubs make it peppery, is bc thats what the judges are lookin for??? If it is, cool, i will quit losing my mind. It looks good going in, tastes good before cooked, and then the only flavor i get is pepper afterwards. Anyways, see, i told yall this was a dumb question. I just keep thinking im messin something up. By the way, my first comp, i used the rub i made, just bc thats what i had, i didnt have any knowledge of this site, so i didnt know good commercial rubs, i got a 22nd out of 63 teams, so i wasnt just toally off on my flavors, but also not totally on. S any help in directing me towards the flavor, itd be awesome! As i made all of you dumber for reading this, i apologize.
bigzthamoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I mix a couple comercial rubs then add MORE black pepper. And yes I even grind some more and put it in my injection.
The way I think of it is the judges have already judged 3 catigories. They aren't hungry. They are only gonna take one bite. It needs to be a good one. Put some zing in there.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
I mix a couple comercial rubs then add MORE black pepper. And yes I even grind some more and put it in my injection.
The way I think of it is the judges have already judged 3 catigories. They aren't hungry. They are only gonna take one bite. It needs to be a good one. Put some zing in there.

I'm writing this one down.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
bigzthamoose

wow. i guess my tastes are just nowhere near what the judges are expecting. I get having pepper, but when its all you taste, i cant figure that one out. not good to me at all. got point though

Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

As a judge, I'm NOT looking for PEPPER flavor when tasting brisket. What I am looking for is a flavor that complements/enhances the flavor of the MEAT, while still in balance! AND, contrary to what most cookers (including INmitch) think, I ALWAYS take at least TWO bites of each piece of brisket presented. The amazing thing that I've observed (tasted) is that MOST brisket entries taste pretty much the same - unlike all of the other categories. I've experienced an occasional "pot roast", and a few entries that were absolutely GREAT, but the vast majority of brisket entries have VERY similar flavor. One caution is to NOT use too much salt!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
bigzthamoose

Thanks for the post. I like hearing a judges perspective. I understand complimenting the flavor, and thats why I was caught off guard that every time i use rubs that are made by very successful teams, all I get is friggin pepper. No other flavor. Just pepper. Thank u sir!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

As a judge and a table captain that takes careful note of how judges score entries, the most important thing is moistness. After that is balance in flavor. You shouldn't be able to taste an over powering flavor. It should all compliment the beef. Also, some judges are turned off by a strong au jus/broth flavor. Think moist and balanced.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

And please don't make me look for the taters & carrots! Brisket should taste like brisket, not pot roast. Moisture is what will make or break you a lot of times.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
bigzthamoose

Ok, makes sense. I was just wondering if there is a taste that they are lookin for, kinda like how "candy" ribs are favorable. I just didnt know if i was the only one who doesnt like the over the top pepper taste

Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzthamoose View Post
Ok, makes sense. I was just wondering if there is a taste that they are lookin for, kinda like how "candy" ribs are favorable. I just didnt know if i was the only one who doesnt like the over the top pepper taste
Since you mentioned it, I DO NOT favor "candy" ribs!!! Most of the "candy" ribs are so sweet that there is no way you will ever taste the flavor of the meat! Give me a "lightly" sauced or glazed rib and it will probably score higher than one sugar coated in the taste category.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

INmitch has a great brisket. I'm sure when he adds pepper to brisket, it ain't going to be overpowering. His brisket is very well balanced. His past brisket awards prove it.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
smokinb
Knows what a fatty is.

I make my own brisket rub. Trying to get away from store bought rubs. I think judges appreciate the customized flavor profiles. I injected my brisket last night, then rubbed. Would have liked to brine or marinate overnight but was trying to do a competition cook scenario.

Anyway, the rub I'm using, which I like a lot, is as follows:
1 tsp salt
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs chili pwdr
1 tsp cumin
1+ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs red pepper flakes
1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbs paprika
2 tbs black pepper

Then, I cut up eight onions, rings about 1/8", and put into a big cast iron pan with a few garlic cloves chopped and one jalapeño pepper, butter and a little olive oil. Smoked for an hour until golden delicious. Wow. The onions were juicy and had heat the everyone loved on the brisket!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Balance is the key...in the right ammounts black pepper will compliment the meat...too much and it can be overpowering. We season our brisket in layers so as to get the correct ammount of each spice...not a pre-made rub that will give an un-even distribution. Try sprinkling on a moderate layer of salt, then pepper, then garlic powder, then onion powder...add your own spices to suite your tastes such as chili powder, cayenne, rosemary, thyme, etc...have fun!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
bigzthamoose

lol, i knew when i said candy ribs itd get someone goin. What i meant was, it seems theres always some flavor profile that is ideal, and I figured maybe pepper is a preferred "taste" the judges like at the end bc thats all im experiencing with commercial bought rubs. Thanks all!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzthamoose View Post
Not for brisket. Brisket should be beefy. The rub and/or sauce should compliment the flavor, but be a lot more "in the background" vs. the other categories.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->