Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky

Learning to BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
My wife and I are going to Bristol for the cup race in a week or so. We are going to have 4 or 5 days to tour around the surrounding areas, as we're taking the rest of the week after before heading home. Anyone have any suggestions as to things to go see, BBQ joints to hit, etc.? We've never been to Nashville, and are thinking of heading there, but we aren't the tourist trap type either. We are more into the smaller town historic types of places more off the beaten path. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Louisville KY if you're into bourbon. LOTS of distilleries to visit that have tours & tastings. Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, several locations around that area.

Never been, but have heard if you have the time, the Cherohala Skyway is supposed to be a fantastic scenic drive. https://www.visitmonroetn.com/cherohala-skyway

The Great Smokey Mountains are near there as well, great scenic drives, Gatlinburg TN, Pidgeon Forge, etc.

Never been to Nashville either, but plan to stop for a day or two before the SE Brethren Bash. I have Peg Leg Porker & Martin's BBQ Joint saved in my Google maps.

I'm not sure how far you want to go. In Virginia I enjoy Charlottesville and Asheville. Near Charlottesville is one of my favorite BBQ places in a cute, small town called Gordonsville. The place is BBQ Exchange. A couple years ago, I submitted a thread covering part of Tennessee:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4400149

If you prefer small towns, I might recommend Franklin, south of Nashville. I don't consider Nashville a tourist trap, but it is big and chaotic, with lots of bars and noise. It can be a lot of fun, but not everyone is into that sort of thing. Franklin is a beautiful, walkable, historic town. It might qualify as a tourist trap, but it feels nice.

If you do find yourselves in Nashville get tickets for the Grand Ole Opry. I'm not a touristy kinda guy either and I had my doubts. I was very glad I did it, it was like a time travel back to a Norman Rockwell slice of America. I got the tickets the same day so it's not like I needed to plan ahead.

Louisville KY if you're into bourbon. LOTS of distilleries to visit that have tours & tastings. Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, several locations around that area.

Never been, but have heard if you have the time, the Cherohala Skyway is supposed to be a fantastic scenic drive. https://www.visitmonroetn.com/cherohala-skyway

The Great Smokey Mountains are near there as well, great scenic drives, Gatlinburg TN, Pidgeon Forge, etc.

Never been to Nashville either, but plan to stop for a day or two before the SE Brethren Bash. I have Peg Leg Porker & Martin's BBQ Joint saved in my Google maps.
Just an FYI the next time you are visiting or passing through Louisville, we have a Martin's BBQ Joint too. It's on the east side of town and easy access from the interstate.

Just an FYI the next time you are visiting or passing through Louisville, we have a Martin's BBQ Joint too. It's on the east side of town and easy access from the interstate.
I just came to this forum to ask if there are any good Que joints in Louisville. Probably going to stop there on the way to the SE Brethren Bash. Last time I was there I stopped in at Mark's Feed Store. Didn't know Martin's had a place up there, was going to stop at the one in Nashville.

You coming down to the Bash? Only about 3 hour drive to Lebanon TN.

Back