Big Pig Jig First Timer

BlackDogBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey we are entering the Big Pig Jig down in South Georgia this November for the first time and was wondering if anyone knows the style of BBQ sauce that is preferred for this contest or any other tips for that matter would be welcomed. Being from Georgia we do what we consider a Georgia style sauce for our pulled pork which is similar to North Carolina Sauce so it is a vinegar base but we do add some ketchup, sugar, etc. to round it out some but it is still thin and definitely not the thick sweet KC style sauce that some other bbq comps seem to lean towards. For our ribs I will thicken that sauce up some with more sugar so it will stick to the ribs so to speak. Any advice will be greatly appreciate. We will be flying under the name Sky Dog BBQ at the Jig if anyone wants to stop by. Thanks a lot.

I've been judging MBN contests for over 5 years now and no matter where the contest is held the sauce is basically the same. I judged the Big Pig Jig last year and it is the same sauce as in TN or VA or NC. I was actually filmed judging Michael Character's pork shoulder - and NO, I didn't swallow my ring!

My only suggestion is to ensure that the vinegar flavor is NOT prominent. It's okay in the background, but balance is better!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Tom,

Thanks a lot for weighing in. It sounds like you have plenty of background in the matter. So you would say the sauce y'all are typically looking for is more sweet then vinagery and probably leaning towards the thick side?

Welcome to the "dark side"... MBN is a load of fun, and Big Pig Jig is that much more fun!! Ants!! Bring ant killer (granules for the ground). Also, you're below the gnat line; bring insect repellant for you, ala. grande.

+1 what Tom said. Balanced.

Tom,

Thanks a lot for weighing in. It sounds like you have plenty of background in the matter. So you would say the sauce y'all are typically looking for is more sweet then vinagery and probably leaning towards the thick side?

Balanced, not overly sweet, but definitely not overly vinegary. Thick is ok, but at some point all you're tasting is sauce, and that's not good. Even the best tasting sauces will score 9's in flavor (on MBN's 10 system) because there is no taste of the BBQ shining through.

One of the best things about MBN over KCBS is that you don't put sauce on the meat! Turn in the meat with a small cup of sauce on the side. In fact, you can turn in a couple different sauces for each category and the judge is to find the sauce that they like the best with the meat and score that one together.

Like Hance stated above, BALANCE! Sweet is better than vinegary, but if you have more than one that you like - submit them BOTH!

Really you can turn in multiple sauces for one entry? That is great. Granted I understand that it is more about the meat and less about the sauce but still I like the idea of putting two sauces in their since BBQ sauce styles can be very divisive. Thanks for the tip.

I've had good luck turning in multiple sauces in the past. While I really like a good vinegar sauce; it's probably only 30% of people do (in this area). So, when I do turn in multiple sauces, I turn in one that is more of a traditional balance sauce leaning a little sweet, and the other is a vinegar sauce which I think is very nice.

It's up to the judges to decide. Mind you, they MUST use a sauce if you provide them, but it's up to them to choose how much they use and which one of the two they prefer...

(I've competed and judged since 2005)

I'll try. Big Pig has historically been on a bad weekend for me. Not nearly as bad this year, but I've let my MBN certification expire (not enough MBN contests to make it worthwhile)... Big Pig is a riot!!! Great fun!

I'm serious about both the ant killer granules and the bug spray/lotion for you. The ants and the gnats are ravenous!

Back