MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee

Notices

Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee Welcome to Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee, where you'll find fresh roasted coffees from around the world. I'll be offering single origin coffees and blends as well as some advice and knowledge about the world of specialty coffee.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default Coffee Equipment: Grinders

Since the subject came up (Thanks to Big George BBQ), let talk about grinders.

I am going to say something here that may make you think I'm nuts (if you don't already ).

The grinder is the most important piece of coffee equipment that you can own.

You're probably thinking "But Ronelle... What about the coffee maker on my counter? isn't it important?" Yes, it is important, but it is possible to make a great cup of coffee with a simple filter cone and some way to make hot water. You don't need anything more than that, but you have to have a good grinder.

Why is the grinder important? Well, let's start with the obvious. Without it, you're going to have a hard time making coffee when you have whole beans on hand :). But it goes beyond that. You could use a couple of rocks and smash the beans and get a cup of coffee out of the smashed beans, but the quality will suffer. To understand why, let's take a short look at what really happens when we brew coffee.

To keep it simple, when coffee is exposed to water, soluble coffee solids and oils are extracted from the bean and into the water. The amount of soluble solids and oils that enter the water is influenced by several factors. Let's concentrate on two for now. The first is water temperature. Hot water extracts more solids and over a shorter time. It is possible to make coffee using cold water, and this process can make some very good coffee, but it takes several hours to do so. This isn't practical for every day use. We'll talk more about temperature when we get to our discussion on brewing techniques.

The second factor, and this is the one most relevant to our grinder discussion, is the size of the coffee particles. The smaller the particle, the faster the extraction process. So, if there are different size particles they will extract at different rates. This is a concern because coffee that is over-extracted is bitter, and coffee that is under-extracted is sour. If we have very small and very large particles in our brewer at the same time the smaller particles will be over-extracted and the larger particles will be under-extracted and both of these affect the cup.

So, the main goal of our grinder is to produce as even a grind as possible. This gives us particles of a similar size so the all reach the optimal extraction level at the same time. This gives us a much better cup of coffee. Our ideal grinder also has to be easy to adjust. Different brewing methods require a different size particle, or a different grind level. For example, with the average drip coffee maker the water is in contact with the coffee for about one minute. In order to get a proper extraction we need a finer grind since there is less time for the process to occur. As another example, in a percolator the water is in contact with the coffee for a longer period, and is also recirculated through the coffee over and over again as part of the percolation process. Because the contact period is longer, and repeated, we use a coarser grind.

Hopefully all of that makes sense. If not, please ask questions.

Now, let's look at the types of grinders. There are two different types of grinders commonly available: the blade grinder and the burr grinder.

Blade Grinders use a blade (doh!) to slice the beans into smaller pieces. These are the least expensive type of grinder. With grinders, like a lot of things, you get what you pay for! Blade grinders are not capable of meeting our two requirements above. The "ground" coffee will contain pieces of varying sizes and will also contain a lot of dust that is created when the beans are sliced up. The dust particles will over-extract severely and make the resulting cup bitter. In addition, the way that you control the level of the grind is by how long you run the grinder. The longer it runs the more the beans are hitting the blade and the smaller the grind. There is no real control over the grind level and little chance of repeating the same results.

Burr Grinders use rotating burrs to grind the coffee. The grind level is controlled by the spacing between the burrs. This can be set precisely and the setting will be the same every time. In addition, since the burrs are even across their surface (unless they have been damaged), the resulting grind is very even, with uniform particle size and little dust. There are two types of burr grinders on the market; flat burr and conical burr. Both do a good job but conical burr grinders are preferred. In a flat burr grinder the burrs turn very fast and can create a lot of static and more of a mess. In a conical burr grinder the burrs turn slower and the conical shape helps move the coffee into the hopper so they are less likely to clog. Conical burr grinders are also quieter.

So... i think it is clear from the above that my recommendation is to buy a burr grinder, preferably a conical burr grinder. If you already have a blade grinder you don't have to rush out and replace it. Using any grinder to grind beans at the time of brewing will give you much better results when compared to using pre-ground coffee, especially if the beans are fresh roasted. To understand this statement we have to look into how coffee ages. I plan on going into this in more detail in another thread, but basically, once coffee is roasted it immediately starts to deteriorate. The biggest culprit in this deterioration is air. Exposure to air will allow many of the flavor components in coffee to escape, and grinding the coffee increases the amount of surface area that is exposed to air by thousands of times. Most serious coffee geeks will grind minutes before brewing. So, even if you are using a blade grinder, grinding right before brewing will give you a much better cup than using pre-ground coffee.

If you don't have a grinder, I strongly recommend buying a decent burr grinder. As i mentioned before, you get what you pay for. More expensive grinders will provide a more even grind and have better adjustability. Cheaper grinds will produce more dust, be noisier, produce a lot of static, and have fewer steps of adjustments. expect to pay at least $60 for a low end burr grinder with the high end pro-sumer models selling for over $500! If all you are interested in is brewed coffee, not espresso, then you can forget about the very expensive grinders. Their capabilities are wasted on brewed coffee, but are mandatory for producing excellent espresso.

Breaking things down further, you can buy an electric burr grinder or a hand-held burr grinder. Hand-held grinders have a crank that you turn to grind the coffee. This takes longer, but they are much less expensive.

If you're still with me, you are probably wondering when i will get to recommending some grinder. Well, thanks for hanging in there.

Here are some grinders that I have used or have reliable information on:

Hand Grinders:
Hario Skerton - About $40. This is a well built hand grinder that is capable of producing an espresso grind but works well for brewed coffee.

Zassenhaus Turkish Mill - About $80. Another excellent hand grinder. This is my travel grinder.

Electric Burr Grinders

Cuisinart Supreme Grind - $50. This is the least expensive burr grinder that I can recommend. It works, but is noisy and generates a lot of static, which can be messy.

Capresso Flat Disk Burr Grinder - $50. Similar in capabilities to the Cuisinart above, but seems to produce less static.

Capresso Infinity - $90. This is the least expensive conical burr grinder commonly available. It has 16 adjustment steps and is fairly quiet.

Starbucks Barista - About $120 at Starbucks. I'm not sure if Starbucks still sells this grinder but it was made for them by Baratza. Baratza has refurbished Baristas available on their web site for around $80 (plus shipping)

Baratza Maestro - This is a step up from the Starbucks Barista. it has a larger motor and more adjustment steps. The Maestro is available from several web sites for $99.

Baratza Maestro Plus - An upscale version of the Maestro with a timer, a more powerful motor and still more adjustment steps. the Maestro Plus sells for $149. Baratza occasionally has refurbished Maestro Plus at $90. This is the grinder that I use for brewed coffee.

There are others available, but I don't have enough experience with them to give good advice. There are excellent consumer reviews of all types of grinders at Coffeegeek.com.

If you are looking for a new grinder a good source is Whole Latte Love. They have good prices and free shipping. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a satisfied customer. they also offer refurbished grinders that can be a good value.

If you have questions about grinders in general or a specific model, please ask!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oooo! I like the looks of that Hario Skerton for coffee and pepper, obviously not at the same time. I would add, I use a burr grinder for my spice gridning for the same reasons as for coffee. I like the Baratza too. What do you use for your espresso?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Oooo! I like the looks of that Hario Skerton for coffee and pepper, obviously not at the same time. I would add, I use a burr grinder for my spice gridning for the same reasons as for coffee. I like the Baratza too. What do you use for your espresso?
The new Hario Mini Mill is also nice and it is smaller than the Skerton. I may be getting one soon.

For espresso I bought a used commercial grinder from a coffee shop that went out if business. It is a La San Marco LSM90. It's probably overkill but it does a great job and was a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

I have the Capresso Infinity. I like it a lot. Making coffee at 5:30 am it seems to be a bit noisy, so I set it on a folded kitchen towel to quiet it down.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
landarc

I thought so Ronelle, it looked a little more commercial than the Baratza units you discussed. I like the idea of a small burr grinder for travel.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
landarc

Hey Ron, how did that Hario hand mill work out for you? Test it yet?

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Ron_L

Oops... Sorry. It came just before I left for the UK. I played with it a bit then and more this week. It is a nice grinder, but requires a lot of work if you want a fine grind. I counted 200 cranks to grind 12 grams of coffee at a relatively fine setting. I need to find some time to take some pictures of it and compare it to my Zass turkish mill.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi Ron,

I was wondering if this is still current. My wife is drinking more and more coffee these days, but still isn't a big drinker. We have a cheap blade grinder at our other place that seems to please her well enough. I need to get one for here. Biggest criteria is that it needs to be small. We have no counter space and actually move the coffee maker in and out of the closet every Saturday and Sunday. Second consideration is cost, more so because usage doesn't warrant a $500 machine. I looked at what you posted and the Capresso Flat Disk Burr Grinder seemed like it might work, but the amazon ratings is scary.

Can you offer any newer advice or would the Capresso work?

Also, I would think this would make a good sticky.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Ron_L

Yeah, there hasn't been much in they way of new low end grinders. The prices have gone up a little, of course

Baratza has apparently stopped selling refurbs, or at least I can't find them on their web site any more.

The Capresso flat disc burr is OK, and does it's job for the price, but for a little more you can get the Capresso Infinity, which is a much better grinder.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Capresso/infinityburr.cfm

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks Ron.
I'll take a harder look at the Capresso Infinity. I'm starting to think the pictures make it look bigger than it is, so maybe it isn't so bad.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Parts_Guy
On the road to being a farker

I have 2 Mr Coffee grinders. Like Ron mentioned above about the price,these were cheap(under $20) but are not quiet either. They do the trick though. My wife was barista and managed a couple coffee shops(not starbucks) and she got me hooked on coffee.
Ron, have you tried Alterra coffee out of Milwaukee? I am a huge fan of their coffees...love the Blue Heeler.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts_Guy View Post
I have 2 Mr Coffee grinders. Like Ron mentioned above about the price,these were cheap(under $20) but are not quiet either. They do the trick though. My wife was barista and managed a couple coffee shops(not starbucks) and she got me hooked on coffee.
Ron, have you tried Alterra coffee out of Milwaukee? I am a huge fan of their coffees...love the Blue Heeler.
It's been a while since I was up there, but Alterra does a great job! I met the owner on one visit. Nice guy.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
omphacite
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : DG

I had a Baratza Encore for my pour overs, but gave it to my son when he left for college. I just have the Eureka Mignon Specialita for my espresso. Both are good at what I used them for.
omphacite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Thanks Ron.
I'll take a harder look at the Capresso Infinity. I'm starting to think the pictures make it look bigger than it is, so maybe it isn't so bad.
FWIW I have had one of those for five years and it's great. The manufacturing money was spent on the mechanism not on fancy labels, nameplate, artsy styling, etc. Rare these days.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #15
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by omphacite View Post
I had a Baratza Encore for my pour overs, but gave it to my son when he left for college. I just have the Eureka Mignon Specialita for my espresso. Both are good at what I used them for.
Holy these resurrection, Batman

Both are solid grinders! I have since upgraded my espresso grinder OT a Ceado E37S and love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
FWIW I have had one of those for five years and it's great. The manufacturing money was spent on the mechanism not on fancy labels, nameplate, artsy styling, etc. Rare these days.
I have an Infinity for drip/press, etc and my parents had one for years. As you said, not fancy, but well built.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/